NTN 6202c3 crank bearings made in Taiwan should I be concerned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timberdollars

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So I have ordered bearings from three different places including OEM Husky. All say China, Taiwan, or nothing at all. (these looked like sh$%)
I returned most as I do not do China!!!!
I found a bulk supplier of these bearings and are NTN bearings made in Taiwan, I order a few to look at. They look fine, say NTN on them. but has anyone else ran bearings made in Taiwan, seems thats all there is. I just want to rebuild a few saws I have that are keepers. (as a side note my 266 and 350 both had NTN bearings in them, as did a Partner)
NTN bearing Part# 6202c3 standard crank bearings for 50% saws made.
Cost $1.85 ea. shipped

Duane

I've bought FAG 6202 C3 bearings for my 5k+ Partner from FAG. Made in Portugal, 3 Euros each.
The original old SKF ones were made in Germany as also FAG used to, but thats all past now...
That does not necessarily mean that asian bearings are any worse, they are made automatically on machines and so it only depends on the steel quality.

ntn bearings from Asia

Thanks all for the reply's, I think I'll use them, I mean it is Taiwan its better than main land China!!! I worry is these are going in MY saws the ones I fixing for daily use. I want to do total rebuild a Jonsered 490, Partner 500, Partner 7000+, and a real old Partner Heated Handle R18. I justify the rebuild because these bearings were $15.00 for all four sets to my door. Makes for a good saw.

Thanks
Duane

Bearings are bearings, but many things will shorten there operating life such as: Prior to installation, Long term bearing storage allows for rust to develop, improper bearing installation, high premix ratios (i.e. Gasoline 50, Engine oil 1) ,combined with abuse, and excessive heat.

So I have ordered bearings from three different places including OEM Husky. All say China, Taiwan, or nothing at all. (these looked like sh$%)
I returned most as I do not do China!!!!
I found a bulk supplier of these bearings and are NTN bearings made in Taiwan, I order a few to look at. They look fine, say NTN on them. but has anyone else ran bearings made in Taiwan, seems thats all there is. I just want to rebuild a few saws I have that are keepers. (as a side note my 266 and 350 both had NTN bearings in them, as did a Partner)
NTN bearing Part# 6202c3 standard crank bearings for 50% saws made.
Cost $1.85 ea. shipped
Duane

You can go to McMaster Carr and look up the specs for your bearings, and get much higher quality. You'll need the O.D., I.D. and width.

Bearings are bearings, but many things will shorten there operating life such as: Prior to installation, Long term bearing storage allows for rust to develop, improper bearing installation, high premix ratios (i.e. Gasoline 50, Engine oil 1) ,combined with abuse, and excessive heat.

Uh, that's like saying a Volkswagen is a Lamborghini. Nope.

Last edited:
I have with no problems, i've also used skf bearings made in India.

I've gotten SKF bearings that were made in India, Argentina, and Hungary.

I've bought FAG 6202 C3 bearings for my 5k+ Partner from FAG. Made in Portugal, 3 Euros each.
The original old SKF ones were made in Germany as also FAG used to, but thats all past now...
That does not necessarily mean that asian bearings are any worse, they are made automatically on machines and so it only depends on the steel quality.

Yes, Stihl used FAG bearings for a long time made in Portugal. I saw those a lot in 044s and 046s. They had some bearings for the bigger saws made in Japan (084) and for a while they were getting bearings for the smaller saws (MS-210, 250) made in Argentina.

NTN bearings

Well looks like ever country so far, made bearings for saws. NTN states they have 68 factories around the world???? Whats the chance of rebadged bearings, seems there all lazer or inked on #'s
It the NO name ones I got before that I wont touch. Besides the FAG bearings in 440/460 go out just sitting there, lesson learned on those critters!!!!!

can ANYONE say for sure they had a failure of a 6202c3 that was new?

Duane

Hi again,
I maybe get german made NTN 6202 c3 bearings in a couple of days...:msp_biggrin:
Ebay auction, sold as unused and new, but new coukd of course also mean NOS.
And, there is still a manufactuerer that produces roller bearings (also for chainsaws) in germany, SLF ! It's a former eastern german manufacturer, but even the GDR made bearings decades ago were very good, i was told. Some say better than than todays asian SKF stuff, but you know also the grass was greener back than :msp_biggrin:
All in all i guess you can't go wrong with brands like FAG, SKF and NTN anyway...

This is just my take on this, but I wouldn't be putting a $1.85 crank bearing on my saw.

They're a lot of work to change and can do a lot of damage if they grenade.

FWIW I just bought 4 NTN 6202c3 bearings yesterday from the local bearing house and they all say "made in Japan" on the box. They were just a shade over $5 a copy.

Bearings?

Well this is getting way more interesting than first thought! I checked into NTN they make bearings every place known to man. I stopped at a parts house today to pick up a couple to compare. NTN 6202c3, one made in SriLanka, one in China?, same boxes!!! Oh NO
Stopped at saw shop for bearings both E-Lux/Husky both made in Portugal on packing slip, no name on bearing but was plastic ring inside, (no concern to me, I'm not sold on the fiber lock ring reason, and perfer metal)
Think I'll install these Taiwan bearings in a test saw of mine, Modded Partner S65 and spinner too the moon for a few hours. Partners have "NO" bearing issues and I'll see what happens. I have lots of these saw so its no loss if goes BANG.

Duane

I drive by a bearing supply place each day but have never stopped. Have a Husqvarna 66 to work on...So if I stop in and ask for some 6202c3 bearings will they look at me funny or know what I need? Any other part numbers or measurements needed?

Here where I work, we use SKF and some FAG and Timken. We don't use NTN much. In the past, their quality was not on par with SKF so we standardized on that. Our bearings for the most part are considerably bigger, 23164s for instance. For home use, I use SKF for everything.

Not trying to show off here but if you take the last two digits of the bearing number, 02 in this case, multiply by 5, you get the inner bore diameter in mm. The c3 is the rolling element to race clearance, c3 being slightly more open than a standard clearance bearing.

I am sure this was of no help to anyone.

Last edited:
I drive by a bearing supply place each day but have never stopped. Have a Husqvarna 66 to work on...So if I stop in and ask for some 6202c3 bearings will they look at me funny or know what I need? Any other part numbers or measurements needed?

Yes, they will know. It's a very common bearing. Make sure you get a c3 not a c2. The clearance is looser to allow for expansion.

Bearing numbers

Here where I work, we use SKF and some FAG and Timken. We don't use NTN much. In the past, their quality was not on par with SKF so we standardized on that. Our bearings for the most part are considerably bigger, 23164s for instance. For home use, I use SKF for everything.

Not trying to show off here but if you take the last two digits of the bearing number, 02 in this case, multiply by 5, you get the inner bore diameter in mm. The c3 is the rolling element to race clearance, c3 being slightly more open than a standard clearance bearing.

I am sure this was of no help to anyone.

YOUR SO WRONG!, its a big help I did not know that, I knew about the C3 part but not the other, All info I learn from here is great, Thanks for that. If you have more please share, thats why I started this thread, its not about the $ but the quality and my bad luck with OEM saw bearings.
I have decided to find better bearings for MY saws, I noticed too many internet articles about hundreds of thousands of counterfit bearings seized last year by Homeland Security. Guess it's outta control.
Safest bet is to buy older boxed NOS stuff, IMO

Thanks everyone
Duane

Took everyone's advise and stopped by the bearing supply place today. Asked for some 6202c3's and he had some Koyo bearings in stock at $5.89 each.
The numbers are: 62022RSC3
Koyo JTEKT Corp. made in Japan
Are these good to go? Any experience with this brand?

Last edited:
Took everyone's advise and stopped by the bearing supply place today. Asked for some 6202c3's and he had some Koyo bearings in stock at $5.89 each.

Here at work some of our pumps came with Koyo as OEM stuff and they seem OK. Usually, we fail pump bearings by doing something wrong, dead head the pump or contaminated lube for instance. There are a few here that are approaching 17 years of run time with the OEM Koyo bearings in them. (They would be the ones rolling at 890 or 1150 in a near ideal place on their curve).

the "2RS" part means it has a built in seal on both sides. "1RS" means it has a built in seal on one side.

Back