oak log

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel nut

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
A neighbor got this log from a friend. He said it weighed 19,700 lbs and it took a crane to load it. The floor on the trailer might need some repair after they unload it. lol Thats a lot of wood.

Last edited:
They are lucky the DOT didn't catch up to them! A tad overweight for that trailer, and only two tie downs? yikes! :msp_ohmy:

Lot of wood in that sucker, though!

I should sneak over there with the 1 ton Dodge and bring it over to my place get it all cut up and stacked before he notices it's gone from his pasture. hehehe :msp_cool:

That is Huge...

... and I believe that 19,700 lfb is likely accurate.

Most sawmills cannot even handle that without a bandsaw ripper and it would probably overload the conveyor anyway.

Any idea what saw configuration was used to drop the tree? :msp_blink:

Thats a good question. He did say he was going to take it to a saw mill. I thought that sucker would be kinda large for them to handle but what do I know? I'll have to ask him who cut it down. If they can't handle it I wonder if I could end up with it? Hmmmmmm..... :msp_drool:

Halve or Quarter It

Thats a good question. He did say he was going to take it to a saw mill. I thought that sucker would be kinda large for them to handle but what do I know? I'll have to ask him who cut it down. If they can't handle it I wonder if I could end up with it? Hmmmmmm..... :msp_drool:
Trouble is, many sawmills will not give you credit for any log larger than 44" dia., regardless of how big it is. So, he would have to halve it and then quarter it to get 4 logs out.

My buddy does this with monster logs using his logging saw. It's not easy, to say the least, but he does it. Otherwise, he hauls tons to the mill for nothing. Average rate is about $50 a ton, but oak wood command more from the right mill.

That is a monster!

Looks like quite a few defects for sawing though and maybe even a yard tree which the mills often don't like.

Maybe it should be cut for firewood! :laugh:

Very true. It's not a grade log so I say firewood. I get more per board foot in firewood then you can hope for in log price.

Scott

At the most that trailer would have two 7K axles under it so it being overloaded is an understatement. My 28' dual tandem had 10K axles under it, but with an EW of 6300 pounds would still only haul 7 tons.

At the most that trailer would have two 7K axles under it so it being overloaded is an understatement. My 28' dual tandem had 10K axles under it, but with an EW of 6300 pounds would still only haul 7 tons.
My old man told me today that the fella with this tree about blew the engine in his truck pulling it. He's gotta '00 F250 with the 5.4 in it. Yes the trailer was a bit overloaded I'm sure everyone agrees on that. :msp_wink:

An old lawn care customer of mine had a monster oak that size come down in a storm several years back. Had a logger friend come over with his chain saw and cut it into 20" sections for us. Still took two of us with pry bars to man handle the rounds to the splitter. I think we got around 6 cord out of it.

anyone got a guess on how many cords that would be? I'd say 4 or so maybe. (going off if the weight, it's just a guess)

Process It...

anyone got a guess on how many cords that would be? I'd say 4 or so maybe. (going off if the weight, it's just a guess)
Perhaps four to five, but the variables are huge. After you eventually cut it to splittable widths, cut it to length, split all logs, and stack it, post pics again. I'd like to see the results and maybe then we could measure it accurately.

Until then, it's a guessing game.

Looks like you have some work ahead of you. Good luck!

Last edited:
Should be close to 4 cords.
Oak is around 5,000 lbs/cord green

This log has been on this trailer since August. I wonder how he's gonna get it unloaded? I know a fella that has a Komatsu pc200 who could unload it pretty cheap. I'm gonna have to find out how much he has invested in this thing. It might be worth it if the price is right. The guy that owns this log got it from a yard in town. I guess he's got some bucks in getting knocked down and loaded onto my neighbor's trailer so there won't be anyway of getting a hold of this bad boy without coughing up some dough. Hard to say how much it cost to get it cut down and loaded. I'm sure it wasn't cheap!!

Last edited:
Could you put some house jacks underneath one side of the trailer and roll it off?

Latest posts

Back