Oak - Mold - ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I Fell

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Last fall I got some fresh oak (Garry Oak I think) from a wind storm. I split it and stacked it under my wood shelter. I re-located/re-stacked the pile a couple of weeks ago and found lots of white mold over the wood. When first split & stacked, it was very wet & heavy.

Is this normal, or anything to be concerned about?

(Pacific Northwest)

It is normal when stacking any green wood. I got stacks of sawn pine boards with a lot of mold on it, tho it's been covered. Shouldn't hurt firewood.

My family biz www.servpro.com does mold remediation in houses. The general idea is that mold IS/can be harmful when concentrated in indoor environments. So you have it outside- nothing to worry about.

Burning it could cause potential problems, but you won't be breathing the smoke, it should be going up the chimney.

Don't worry about it, but don't mess around with it more than you have to. You could always call your local Servpro and ask them to do a mold remediation on you woodpile!

love
nick

Back