Oak prices in NH???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JETRO

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Does anyone here know what 12-24 inch white oak that is straight as an arrow should sell for to a sawmill? I cant bring myself to chunking it up for firewood until I know roughly what it would bring as lumber.

Somewhere in between a little and not a lot...

First it depends on the diameter of the tree, saying it is 12 - 24 inch is like saying "officer, the guy was between 3 feet and 7 feet tall". What is the diameter at breast height?How tall is the tree?(hence how many logs will it yield) How many defects are in the log? Is it a residential tree, likely full of metal and other artifacts to wreck the mills saw blades? Many mills won't take it.

Of the mills listing for white oak in NH in the october sawlog bulletin, they are paying between $100 MBF (thousand board feet) and $400 MBF. Compare that to cord wood which is going for about $300 MBF (assuming roughly 500 BF per cord and $150 a cord) Oh yeah, and then probably subtract a good chunk of that for trucking costs.

Thanks for the reply Newfie, I got a quote of $500.00 MBF from a local mill and didn't know if that was in the ballpark. I should have been more specific on size, the range of stem size is mostly 16" 30'-40' long clear trunks. Normally I would not hesitate in droping them for firewood but these trees are SUPER straight.

Latest posts

Back