Oak Wilt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fmueller

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have 5 acres with a bunch of bur oaks on them. There is a cluster or area where they're all dying off and its getting worse. Anything else I can do besides cut em all down and burn em to keep it from spreading? I think its oak wilt.:mad:

It's very unlikely that you have OW. Not impossible but OW generally effects red oaks.

You should get hold of a local city forester. If you need to find someone to help, contact Rick Tagtow at NE Iowa Tech College. He teaches the arboriculture class there and can direct you to a good source.

Tom

Jeez, yeah, let's get a good diagnosis before calling in the removal crew. Your post sounds a lot like what we hear on the other forum:mad: . Chainsaw is the last resort, after you have to give up the fight.

I did some reading on oak wilt and found the red oaks are most susceptible to the fungus but other oaks are also targets like pin oaks, white oaks, etc. I don't see any insect or exterior points of entry. The leaves just dry up in a matter of weeks and the tree is dead. The ones I already cut ( which were deader than a doornail) had white fungus under the bark when peeled off, plus lots of larvae from probably after the tree died. Not sure what the bugs are yet. But I will check with Rick Tagtow and see if I can get more info.
Thanks
Oh, yeah, Guy, I am the removal crew and actually have fun going
on a chain saw massacre once in a while. It is a bummer potentially losing all those trees though. Would also like to find someone who may be interested in the logs. Gotta check out the market around here.

Armillaria?

Could be that white fungus. You might ask if this is contributing to the death of the trees.

Thanks,

SpaceTaxi

Spacetaxi might have hit it.

Or Hypox. They're growing out of sand aren't they?

Be vigilant about costly isolation tests. Post mortem there will be two dozen or better positives parasitizing the tissue.

I'd like a picture of a standing infected trunk. Also offering to dx it free if you can send me a small zip-lock bag of mycelia found under damp loose bark. Not too loose, you'd have to pry it off but if it yields quickly that's the stuff I need to see.

I'll try and get you a pic when it quits raining here. Whats Hypox? Have'nt heard of that yet, I can't afford any costly treatment either so that won't be an option. The trees are growing in your typical black Iowa soil with lots of organic matter. The soil pH is about 8.0 which is typical for hardwood forested areas around here.

I was thinking about rapid moisture loss in the top few inches of soil, retention in the lower reaches.

Hypox = hypoxylon. I've managed the increase in a few private stands here that defied conventional prognosis. That's why a pic and a sample is important. It's potentially catastrophic and I'm into epidemics...we all are. Up to our ears. Some say I say the sky is falling and I do. I have for some time. Still though it may not be, is it a problem to send me something?

I plan on cutting some more dead trees this weekend and then I can send you a sample if you give me your address etc. Will get some pics too.

Originally posted by oakwilt
It's potentially catastrophic and I'm into epidemics...we all are. Up to our ears. Some say I say the sky is falling and I do. I have for some time.

You aren't kidding there, oak. We've been fighting HWA for the last few years since it's creeped up into our territory. Thankfully incidents of DED are getting less common, although from the numbers it's due more to fewer trees to infect than control of the disease.

Our best defense is to educate homeowners on what to look out for; otherwise, we're just removing the dead trees after the disease has moved on.

:(

Der, good idea. I paid them suckers enough tuition, now maybe they can do sumptim for me. Thanks!

Shoot Eric, I figure you know to do that. fm has it right, putting tax dollars to work by getting ag ext guys to work.

Might as well, eh?

They've been great around here about keeping us posted.

Back