Oak Wilt?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya'll are right as usual. Oak wilt on the red oak. ( I don't know where the burr oak thing came from). The District Forester came out and gave me the low down. I'll have lots of firewood to cut. The upside is there is enough diversity in the woodlot where it won't be a problem. Also did'nt realize that repropogating more oak on same site is no probelmo. Thanks for your accurate observations despite my crappy pics.:) (I know the MaasMan hates these but I had to do it anyway.)

It would depend on how and where the propagation is done. Germinate indoors and allow two years in a vessel before transplanting.

There's a long winded explanation to justify that but trust me from down here in the foci of wilt and a sacrificer of countless test subjects.

Even clonal offspring will resist root grafting if they develope those first two critical learning years away from their momma's and poppa's. Best bet is geographical separation of reasonable distance - at least out of the pollen neighborhood. Don't completely ignore the set-up of monoculture though. Stagger, zigzag, and color some dots with different hues.

Back