Obama owes me a new phone!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beastmaster

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I was working at the Veterans Hospital in LA today. Were removing some nice size trees there. They all boarder a long green house on one side and I was up on one of the highest leaders of a huge ash tree, maybe 60 feet up, waiting for a signal from the Crane operator to start cutting so he could make the pick . I see everyone looking up with cameras out, and their looking at a helicopter it has two props and the side door is open and it looks like a gunner is there. Now theres three of these flying maybe 600 yards away. Then the Presidents helicopter(its big) flys past. I tried to get my camera(phone)out of my pocket, but with my climbing belt on its hard. I miss the shot. Then a few min. later another Presidents helicopter flys by(how many they got?)I miss that shot. I get ready to make the cut and then a third President chopper flys by. I say screw that, Im getting a photo, I frantically dig for my Casio brigade and by the time I get it out, the Choppers past. Missed it.
I can't get the phone back in my pocket all the way, the crane guys yelling for me to make the cut, as I am cutting my phone falls 60 ft and onto a concrete pad. Now it has a crack in it, probably not water proof no more.
I'm not one to blame others for my mistakes:msp_rolleyes: but I thing the President owes me a new phone Beastmaster

When I was at OCS,on MCB Quantico. My next door neighbor was a crew chief on one of the choppers,they fly multiple at the same time so you dont know which one he is in, they have 10 or so, then they have 10 or so CH-46 and a few Ospry's (sp?). I drove by HMX-1 everyday to work, pretty cool watching them pull those things out. It was a base within a base, would have to go there for dental, they take your ID and make you park in a bomb deflection area that has MP's with m-4's and German Shepard's that look hungry!They just built a new hanger that is supposed to be the worlds most secure. Place is pretty awesome, kinda like driving by Uncle Sam in a muscle shirt, flexing his arms, saying "Dont F#%k wit dis"

your crane man isnt paid by the hour?

That Company has its own Crane. Though I have a real job these days(tell the snow flys)I have an agreement that they let me do my contract jobs when they come in. I worked two days at the Veterans Hospital removing three trees for the Santa ana botanical gardens. Their converting part of a rehabilitation area to a native plants nursery. A huge ash and two big figs(like banyans) that were growing and shading two long green houses had to go. The Crane Op is self taught and kind of scary.
This has nothen to do with Obama, but the way we knocked them trees out was pretty cool. I climbed each tree, and the crane would lift a guy to set the rigging, then I would make the cut after he slid down. These trees had lots of massive long branches growing over the green houses so we did a whole lot of picks Hadn't been that tied in a long time. The hour and a half, one mile drive in downtown traffic just to get to the freeway for the two hour drive home didn't help. It paid well though :msp_biggrin: Beastmaster

Latest posts

Back