Oem vintage dual port muffler help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millerhill520

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Guys, there's got to be someone out there who can identify this:

I bought out the inventory of a stihl shop a few years ago. The shop had been around since 1969, and had a ton of old stuff. I worked there as a tech the last few years it was around, and got to look at all the microfiche on saws, and the new stiff at the time, ore m tronic, etc... I am not a know it all on stihls, but I have seen tons of images.

So I got these covers here, they were in a parts box not labeled, but contained a few 08s parts, and some ts 350 parts, as well as some oddball chain saw parts. Hey have 2 slits, like an early dual port cover, or a jungle cover, or muffler cover stihl made for saws for other areas that weren't emissions compliant etc maybe? No screen. There is no stihl stamp on this. It may not even be stihl for that matter, but there were 4, and they were new. These guys didn't buy aftermarket parts, in fact, there probably wasn't even many or any aftermarket parts when these covers were sitting in the box. So, take a look, tell me if you've seen this.

Obviously, it's too big for 024/026. It's too big for 028. I checked it on a 036, 044, 064, 066. It isn't the older stihls, 041/045/056, and not 070 090. I had inky one 038, and had checked it, am desperate there isn't a screw for the top of the cover like I saw on this at one. But, maybe just maybe, it's an 038 dual port? Maybe it's a later 048? Did they only have 2 mounting screws and a curled, hinged lip for retaining the top?

Be curious to know if anyone has ever seen this cover

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    935.9 KB · Views: 32
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    956.2 KB · Views: 28
Yeah, I didn't think it was 038, I looked at the micro fiche for quite a while. Also match it to the one I once had and it didn't look right at all.

This is a stumper for me. It really looks like a stihl cover, but I can't find an s or even a prefix number. I tried to match it up with many models I actually own, and it fits none of em. Wondering if someone wants to send measurements of an 048 rear half, and maybe we can eliminate that one too.

Thanks for chiming in, I would love to figure this out!

It does not look like any Stihl saw that I have ever seen and I have seen a lot, but not all of them. It does not look like any two cycle muffler muffler that I have seen, but my guess that it is for a two cycle engine. Tom

After looking at it more closely it has the configuration of a Stihl (the clip in top and the screw holes in the bottom. What ever it is for, look at the inside of the cover and you will notice the concave that is designed for the exhaust to hit and forced toward the slots and they are designed to capture the exhaust and expel it. Tom

I would guess it is a one off specific use muffler cover to be used when the saw engine was mounted to a device.

Back