OEM vs. AM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OEM or Aftermarket

• OEM

Votes: 14 93.3%
  • Aftermarket

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters
Reaction score
Building an 044 complete OEM parts including powder coating all magnesium parts. Searched high and low for a NOS tank to no avail. The tank with the saw was an OEM and I bought an aftermarket. As you can see the difference in the asthetics of both tanks. Question is "Which one would ya'll use"?

Attachments

• 20220309_123352.jpg
    20220309_123352.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
The AM is made of the same plastic, and it's obviously brand new.
I'd say if you want a sort of stained weathered classic look, go with the old weathered one.

I bought an AM for a 460. The switch cam was defective so that it didn't work for the choke. HAd to use the original. There was a little screw there somewhere also on the right side of the cam holding something in place that was ridiculously short. After I found and fixed the problems it worked fine and I sold it to a tree service and haven't heard back about 2 years so I assume it's doing ok.

I bought an AM for a 460. The switch cam was defective so that it didn't work for the choke. HAd to use the original. There was a little screw there somewhere also on the right side of the cam holding something in place that was ridiculously short. After I found and fixed the problems it worked fine and I sold it to a tree service and haven't heard back about 2 years so I assume it's doing ok.
What was the cost difference?
Dont get me wrong, I would spend all my savings to get those administrators their righfully fortune, though I have barely for milk and bread myself.

I think it was $40 something dollars + about an xtra 2 or more hours finding the cause of the problems,imprivising and experimenting trying to make the original cam work before resorting to finding the old tank handle to rob and replace the defective parts.

The common conclusion here is if you can't find oem, you can get by with AM. Good used oem would be preferred over after market I believe usually for use or resale .
The common political encouraged conclusions you mean? I love that, its what Putin does to "he's" people. And look what he does to "he's" people.

The common conclusion here is if you can't find oem, you can get by with AM. Good used oem would be preferred over after market I believe usually for use or resale .
I have used a/m on several builds but I am restoring with complete powder coating and the whole ball of wax. I have never had any problems with a/m tanks.

I prefer all oem ,especially when restoring.

This is incredible. Please get me the info or fb group
I agree on the OEM Gary. Especially on the 044. I saw the same clean up thing on one of the stihl Facebook pages I look at but don't remember which one. I'll check around.

So I understand that a volkswagen beetle in its pristine original condition is special.
But a tool, my screwdriver or pliers - has the value of its usage capability.

You want it shiny and new or do you want it "original" at all cost, thats the difference of a "collector" or "user".
A user dont care for "original", he only cares for "best condition". No self pitty or glorification, just hard facts.

Latest posts

Back