OF ALL YOUR SAWS THE MOST DEPEDABLE/TROUBLEFREE?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since I signed up here and learned the kind of specific info I needed to know, most all my saws are extremely reliable for the home firewood cutting I do. But that is the thing - uses and maintenance practices vary so much I don't know how you could compare. My little 42cc plastic Poulans are dead solid reliable. For others they never work, and still others would wear out any of my saws in a month.

Well although I love my huskies I'd have to give the grand prize to the homelite super xl that I found in the woods which had been sitting there for several years cleaned the points and put oil in the cylinder cause it wouldn't turn over. After 2 days with the oil I put gas in it and it cranked on the second pull been a runner ever since. 2 nd place goes to the 041 farm boss it is one rough looking saw cut a lot of wood sat in a garage after for 10 years plus, rebuilt carb put gas in it and it cranked and has run trouble free since.

My Pro Mac 610 has never had anything major just a carb kit and a re-tune every so often. 30+ years and still a reliable starter and runner.
Pretty much all of my saws have been trouble free, except for the usual normal replaceable things.

I don't have real fond experience of the Husqvarna 345 (which i still own) and 350 saws. A local farmer who i do a lot of work for has a 350. I use it sometimes when he insists i do. Nice saw, but i spend a fair bit of time repairing little things on it when it just doesn't get used much, it wouldn't even have 50 hours on it. Recently replaced the fuel line as it had cracked. I only replaced it about 2 years ago. Genuine Huski part. Saw is always stored drained. Have done couple of AV mounts and some plastics such as the air guide plate as the plastic seemed to have disintegrated. o_O

Husky 55 Rancher
Husky 359
Both start on the second or third pull and give all you ask of them all day.:chainsaw:

The most reliable saws I know of are the old Stihl 028`s, built like a tank and seem to keep going forever. No matter that they sit with old gas in them for extended periods of time, sit unused at hunting or fishing camps in the backwoods where they might get used once a year. They will still start up and run, mine sits year round in an unheated backwood camp. Gets used to cut a couple arm loads of firewood and shoved back under the bunk.Its been there at least 30 years and always starts though I do dump out the old fuel each time before starting it . I can sell a half dozen of them every year to homeowner firewooders that get tired of box store junk.

I would like to know what specific models of saws that are just renouwned for strength and reliability that people are using. The saw that has years of hard use and is still servicable for its age...For me its a ms261, always starts and never gives grief but i'm sure others with 1000's hours experience will be of value here...All OPE manufactors produce better/worse models in thier line up..what are they and why?

My first thought was the MS261 has not been out long enough to be in this club. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

The most reliable saws I know of are the old Stihl 028`s, built like a tank and seem to keep going forever. No matter that they sit with old gas in them for extended periods of time, sit unused at hunting or fishing camps in the backwoods where they might get used once a year. They will still start up and run, mine sits year round in an unheated backwood camp. Gets used to cut a couple arm loads of firewood and shoved back under the bunk.Its been there at least 30 years and always starts though I do dump out the old fuel each time before starting it . I can sell a half dozen of them every year to homeowner firewooders that get tired of box store junk.
You know they are something else!!
When I lived out in Ohio in the 80's I got to cutting firewood with a guy who was Sec. Treasurer of the Bricklayer's Union out in Wheeling, WV. Also a great hunter he used to give demonstrations with his compound bow at Boy Scout Jamborees. He could hit a dixie cup at 40 yards! Anyway he had a 028 that he changed the pts in every fall! Never once saw that saw not run in 10 years of cutting firewood. On a few occasions my 032 or Husky 44 wouldn't run, but that 028 Always ran!! Got many a load with it!! Thing amazed me!!

I would like to know what specific models of saws that are just renouwned for strength and reliability that people are using. The saw that has years of hard use and is still servicable for its age...For me its a ms261, always starts and never gives grief but i'm sure others with 1000's hours experience will be of value here...All OPE manufactors produce better/worse models in thier line up..what are they and why?
Like the old Stihl's and Husky's! Like the 056, 041, 032, and the 026! Husky's like the 44 (amazing), 162, 61, 272, and 288! Fabulous saws!!

My old-to-me Dolmar 5100s ran like a champ for years. Always started on the second pull. I panicked a couple times over the high rpm it likes, but with a good tune the saw has, and still is running great!

husky 262xp bought in 1990
Same here. Bought mine new in 1994 and have never touched it other than replacing a few sparkplugs and bars - heck even the pull cord is original. It has cut 6-8 cords of wood every year since. Typically I pick it up in September and am done with it in December. Regular crappy ethanol gas mixed 40:1 with premium Husky oil.

Many years ago... I only had 2 saws. :eek:
I bought a new MS310. I used that saw for many years...I put a lot of hours on it.... probably the most time I spent behind one certain saw.
I think I had it for 6 or 7 years. Never had to do anything to it. I sold it once CAD kicked in and I bought my 1st 044.

Now I find my go-to saw to be my 026. I ported it years back, always works perfectly.

My old Husky 350 I bought brand new ! Only other more reliable saw I know of is my Dad's Husky 257 :)

My favorite saw is my Stihl 034 super of ALL my saws, but I have to admit i was given a non running "wildthingy" that i modified the crap out of. Not a hotsaw but it starts on the 3rd pull and runs perfect all the time. I keep it on my Kubota for when I just need a saw. I was thinking Id kill it quick. Nope it keeps on goin and it does not get near the care my real saws do. I kind have kept it to be a loaner saw. not sure id loan it out at this point.

My first thought was the MS261 has not been out long enough to be in this club. Or maybe I just haven't been paying attention.

No sir your absolutely correct but at my age (34) l have not had the same experience as others thats what this post is about. Thats why l said for 'me' the 261......but don't forget there are those that put more hours on a saw per annum than other enthusiests do in a lifetime. So newer models are deffinately in the equation here! Most loggers are'nt runnin with a vintage saw....there using the latest and greatest, its their job!

Latest posts

Back