officially done with splitting this year!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volks-man

Arboristsite.com Spooner
Reaction score
if you will indulge me, i'm like a proud new pappa tonight.:)

here's the fruit of my labor this winter. finished up just this evening.
the pile is maple, red oak, white oak and 20 or so cut-up palletts.
every stick cut by me and all hand split.... by me.
roughly 6.5 feet high and 16-20 feet wide at the base.

a close look will reveal the last of this year's wood poking out of the old ragged woodshed. next winter's wood is in the stack behind the pile. so i guess the pile is for 2010/2011!:clap:
PICT0862.jpg

:):):):):)

Good for you to be done while the weather is cool.
Now you can just watch it turn grey over the summer.

That pile looks to contain some very straight grained wood, easier to hand split.

Sounds like it's time to crack beer, and give that lawn chair in the picture some use. I'd turn the chair around and face the pile and just enjoy the view for while...

Well done.

Sounds like it's time to crack beer, and give that lawn chair in the picture some use. I'd turn the chair around and face the pile and just enjoy the view for while...

Well done.

:agree2:
except the lawnchair part...... that belongs to my 4-year old and it is a little small for me.:)

shoot.... i'm two years ahead, i thought about taking next winter off!:dizzy:

Me too. Guess I'll need a new username and have to reform some woodboogerin' habits. (It's hard not to rubberneck driving past a take down. You can't fool me. I know your type.

Have a bit more mauling of rounds ahead, but between my 3-cord surplus from this year and the 5ish cords in my dooryard, I'm set through April 2011. Geesh. Bu that time, my 4 year old will be in elementary school. Seems like we just brought him home.

My firewooding is making me feel old :(

Good-looking wood pile! As hungry as my furnace is, I am never really done cutting and splitting. It is worth it, though, for the low propane bills-not to mention a better workout than going to the gym!!:givebeer:

:givebeer: I havent even started splitting yet...

Me either. I still have 2 feet of snow and ice on the ground although all thats about too change. 50 degrees by Thursday. I just ran out of wood in the barn a day ago and have been hauling in a few fish totes of some hatmatack out in the backyard. It's working out ok but I've been throwing it into the oven of the Glenwood for a few hours before it going into the firebox. Yummmm, fresh baked wood! :cheers:

...been hauling in a few fish totes of some hatmatack out in the backyard.

You Mainers crack me up with your own special words for stuff. Sheer pildarfluffery, I dare say.

The very nadir of neologismatical pragmatagoria! :)

It's working out ok but I've been throwing it into the oven of the Glenwood for a few hours before it going into the firebox. Yummmm, fresh baked wood! :cheers:

Been there. Ash smells best. Have to be careful with birch. But as a seasoned thermadendrologist, you are most certainly aware of this. :cheers:

Me either. I still have 2 feet of snow and ice on the ground although all thats about too change. 50 degrees by Thursday. I just ran out of wood in the barn a day ago and have been hauling in a few fish totes of some hatmatack out in the backyard. It's working out ok but I've been throwing it into the oven of the Glenwood for a few hours before it going into the firebox. Yummmm, fresh baked wood! :cheers:

please explain:
fish totes
hatmatack
glenwood

also, would you mind elaborating on your wood cookstove you have mentioned before? i am trying to convince the wife that it is something we need.
thanks
:cheers:

It is impossible that Zodiac45 finally ran out of dry wood in the barn to burn this spring.

As they said to Shoeless Joe Jackson in 1919, "Say it ain't so, Joe!" :dizzy:

please explain:
fish totes
hatmatack
glenwood

also, would you mind elaborating on your wood cookstove you have mentioned before? i am trying to convince the wife that it is something we need.
thanks

A fish tote is a large heavy plastic errr....tote maybe 2.5'x16"x "14 deep used for lobstering.
Hatmatack is Tamerack or Easter larch tree that burns with a crackling pop.
Glenwood is my old cookstove from about 1909.

attachment.php

It is impossible that Zodiac45 finally ran out of dry wood in the barn to burn this spring.

As they said to Shoeless Joe Jackson in 1919, "Say it ain't so, Joe!" :dizzy:

Yep Doc, It's so....I'm ashamed too say. :cheers:

how much info can i pry out of you?:)

from a cold start... how long before you could boil about a gallon of water?
how do you control temps at the 'burner'?
how do you control oven temps?
how large or small do you need the wood to be for the firebox?
how much heat does it throw in the room (say as a secondary heat source)?
does the stove need regular cleaning besides ash (firebox and smoke areas)?
can you burn coal?
thanks!

Still Have Dry Wood Here...

Thanks, Zodiac45, for the reply.

I still have a cord of dry wood left, but only because I brought in extra this year. Things were tough in December and January. Now I'm heating again for awhile. Spring really hasn't arrived, and last year it was cold about now.

You see, I still remember April 15, 1987 because the roof caved in on Tax day. Many others might remember that year. I guess that is all I have to say for now.

Whoops! I forgot. A neighbor south a few miles called for help and said two oak trees were blown down in the big storm on Monday night. His yard is a mess. So, I'll sharpen the saws and head out Friday morning to see if I can help. :chainsaw:

how much info can i pry out of you?:)

from a cold start... how long before you could boil about a gallon of water?
how do you control temps at the 'burner'?
how do you control oven temps?
how large or small do you need the wood to be for the firebox?
how much heat does it throw in the room (say as a secondary heat source)?
does the stove need regular cleaning besides ash (firebox and smoke areas)?
can you burn coal?
thanks!

From a cold start it's probably 45min too an hour before your boiling a gallon of water.
The temp control works thus. Think of the whole top of the stove as one big burner. slide the pan too the left for more heat, right for less. The air controls on the left side determine how hot you get it going. There are upper (that open for broiling) and lower that are used most of the time too regulate temp. Then you've got a slide control that helps too keep heat in and the ubiquitous damper in the pipe overhead.
The woodbox in this one is fairly large as they go. I takes a 22" stick (But 16"-18" is better) and you better off splitting slightly smaller then you would for heater wood.
Yes you can burn coal due too the lower air controls under the grates but normally you need too have the shaker type grates installed for better coal performance.
Every month or two months time, depending on the quality of the wood you are burning, you'll need too scrape out around the oven and below. There is an access plate and a hoe like tool that fits in there.
As a secondary heating source they are outstanding. It's all about mass and surface and that a big piece of cast iron once it's warmed up.

If you need any more info feel free to ask. :cheers:

Last edited:
Back