Oh baby, where you been all my life!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxtrapper

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Boogered up the bar and chain on my Dolmar 5105 due to poor sharpening skills and not cranking up the bar oiler. Got those replaced and things were working much better. Finally got to where I absolutely had to sharpen the teeth on the chain. Was seriously considering my grinder, when I recalled I'd picked up one of those oregon jig thingies some years ago in a box lot at an auction. Very similar to this, only all orange:

View attachment 271423

Searched around and found it. Spent a few more minutes figuring out how to work it, and cleaning it up. Gave it a whirl.

Shazam! No wiggling, no inconsistencies. Just nice straight file strokes, again and again. Every bit as as fast as trying to do it freehand, if not a little faster (for me). I'm in love! What a wonderful little tool for a person who isn't good at freehand filing. Heck, what a wonderful little tool, period! I so should have dug this out for use long ago.

The object is to sharpen your chain if that tool does it thats great.

I generally clean my chains up witm my grinder and then touch em up with a file guide like mentioned above. and it work beautiful!

LowVolt,

My eyes are going to hate me the rest of the day.:msp_angry:

Ah god. Vom.

As if her face wasn't gross enough already....

I bought one a while back and used it a few times but figured out by the time i got it on i could have had one side done by hand filing. I can get my chains sharper by hand filing them. Now if i rock one out i will use the grinder. I think mine is a cheaper model than the OP's, That may make a difference.

Use one of those newer guides myself, works good, only wish it was 100% metal rather than having some knobs made from plastic.

Detail_BarMountFilingGuide_23736A.jpg

Generally speaking I can freehand the angles, especially if the cutter has indicator marks. I do sometimes have problems with the hook especially if i'm going behind someone that's used the wrong size file or screwed it up for whatever reason. If the hook is off some type of guide or device that holds the file height will be helpful.
Hawt chick!

Enough with the third-world cheesecake, foxtrapper.

The guide you show is from Granberg, but the angle about the vertical axis would be for depth gauges. It's about zero degrees. For cutters, somewhere between 25-35 degrees.

I've used the same one for ~35 years, and still gives consistently great results with just a few strokes. ANY chain except "square ground."

I'm always amused by the folks who say they can do that freehand. :laugh: Delusional. Hitting them now and then with a grinder to remove a chunk of chain; of course, just to true them up.

Please, everybody replying to LowVolt's post, please, please delete that horrible photo. Suffering enough from last night's party and that photo is just killing me...

Latest posts

Back