Oh boy, this ain't good, MS441

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whats wrong with that picture? I just removed the filter, seen that crap in it and took the picture. I dont know what a a HD2 filter is, but I'm sure its whatever came stock on it. I'll photo it tomorrow.

It's awful odd for a 441 filter to allow so much dust to get to the carb. I punish mine at work. I hardly have time to clean the filter until lunchtime and at the end of day. The filter barely even has any dust on it, and it's very clean under the filter. Seems the mating surfaces could be damaged on the filter or the carb. Like Mike said, the 441 is setup with an air injection like Husky saws. The filters are actually hard to dirty up.

The HD2 filter is the newest one Stihl is using. They're very good filters. Black and chrome and should have HD2 wrote on it somewhere.

I come home and found this 441 on my doorstep tonight. The guy had called me and said he thought it was cooked and wanted it fixed.

Didnt expect it to be this bad, the saw aint really that old. This quick look is all I gave it tonight, just never paid that much attention to these and thought you guys might have some suggestions to look at before I tear it down. I will do a pressure/vac test on it before tear down but a quick look showed the H needle just about tight on the lean side of the limiter and I'm betting that was the problem. Sorry for the bad picture, I never said I was good at taking them. Oh and I thought they fixed the air filters on these newer ones?

attachment.php

attachment.php

That high side screw comes from the factory turned out as far as the limiter will allow it. If its been turned all the way in she's perking coffee. Check the chain real good, a turned in high side and dull chain will cook that baby in no time...

Whats wrong with that picture? I just removed the filter, seen that crap in it and took the picture. I dont know what a a HD2 filter is, but I'm sure its whatever came stock on it. I'll photo it tomorrow.

They say HD2 in big letters on them. Could it have an aftermarket fall apart dolkita HD air filter?

Mark it's a common issue with these saws. You see the wing nut that holds the filter down likes to vibrate loose and fall completely off. The one I worked on was ran quite some time without the wing nut. I'm not 100% sure if the dirt caused the failure or not, my guess is it did. The intake side ring pin popped out, but the saw kept running long enough to allow the ring to rotate 180° and snag in the exhaust port, that finely stopped the saw for good lol.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I'm willing to bet someone incompetent did some adjusting. Either filter neglect, loose nut, or even ran it without. I've had a couple saws brought in this year where the owner said... it seems to run better without a filter and on half choke. :msp_rolleyes:
Freakin obama voters... :bang:

Mark it's a common issue with these saws. You see the wing nut that holds the filter down likes to vibrate loose and fall completely off. The one I worked on was ran quite some time without the wing nut. I'm not 100% sure if the dirt caused the failure or not, my guess is it did. The intake side ring pin popped out, but the saw kept running long enough to allow the ring to rotate 180° and snag in the exhaust port, that finely stopped the saw for good lol.

You beat me to the loose nut Andy. lol

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Sheww, thats nasty. I'll have to rememberto keep an eye on mine. It seems the opposite on mine though, I usually can't hardly get it loosened. :D

That high side screw comes from the factory turned out as far as the limiter will allow it. If its been turned all the way in she's perking coffee. Check the chain real good, a turned in high side and dull chain will cook that baby in no time...

Thanks for chiming in Tom, your telling me what I was thinking, this thing was set closer to lean then to rich for sure. Not all the way lean though. I'll find out more when I talk to him again, like I said he dropped it off before I got home. Like I said before, he dont run dull chains. The one thats on it now is good and sharp.

How much is a P/C for one of these MSRP? Just so I know before I hit the local dealer.

To the rest of yas, the filter wing nut was tight.

Like I said, I was just looking for info of anything out of the way going on with these. I'm thinking that she leaned up and if not the carb settings, maybe a plugged screen in the carb. I have seen several lately that seemed to have a clear coating on them that would not allow fuel through them. I'm figureing that its something in the fuel coating them.

Last edited:
Sheww, thats nasty. I'll have to rememberto keep an eye on mine. It seems the opposite on mine though, I usually can't hardly get it loosened. :D

Luck of the draw I suppose, some vibrate tighter some loose. I've personally now seen three, one was at my dealers and now maybe the one Mark has come loose. I think they may have changed the design of the plastic wing nut, but I'm just repeating what my dealer said.

WOW. I didn't think you were letting orange & white ones in anymore. I suppose if they're temporary visitors it doesn't count?

Thanks for chiming in Tom, your telling me what I was thinking, this thing was set closer to lean then to rich for sure. Not all the way lean though. I'll find out more when I talk to him again, like I said he dropped it off before I got home. Like I said before, he dont run dull chains. The one thats on it now is good and sharp.

How much is a P/C for one of these MSRP? Just so I know before I hit the local dealer.

To the rest of yas, the filter wing nut was tight.

Like I said, I was just looking for info of anything out of the way going on with these. I'm thinking that she leaned up and if not the carb settings, maybe a plugged screen in the carb. I have seen several lately that seemed to have a clear coating on them that would not allow fuel through them. I'm figureing that its something in the fuel coating them.

Yikes-1138-020-1201 $271.00

WOW. I didn't think you were letting orange & white ones in anymore. I suppose if they're temporary visitors it doesn't count?

I got nothing against orange and white ones on the whole, even better when they make me some green. :msp_rolleyes:

The deal is, I don't go to the Stihl dealer, they do. I dont even ask how much it cost since it aint costing me. They bring them to me because the dealer would just try to sell them a new saw anyway. :msp_wink:

i am going to put my 2 cents in here,,, buy a huskie,, that will stop that problem :):),,, no seriously,,,,, thats why i put a little bit of grease between the mating surfaces on the air filters to help stop that problem
i hate to say this but the saws that have the automotive style filters never have that problem that i have ever seen

My 261 has the k&n style filter and I still put some grease around the gasket. I noticed just a small hint of dust getting by. Some of these new filter are better but have small flaws in them. Just a thought.

Latest posts

Back