Oh my word!! The 540 is here!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rms61moparman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well my new/used Makita 540 arrived today and I am REALLY impressed.
It looks better than it did in the pics and seems to be a real nice saw. I will have to say that it is the fastest starting saw I've ever seen. It came all the way from upstate New York and when I unboxed it and fueled it I sat it down and pulled the rope to check the compression and before I had pulled the engine over twice it roared to life and idled like a sewing machine.
I can already see that the limiter caps have to go, it had a small stumble going to WOT from idle and the adjustment was almost all the way out. I opened it up the rest of the way and the stumble disappeared, so far so good. Man this thing has some compression for its size, I sunk it in a big round I have in the back yard and it screamed right along like it was nothing.
I'm real anxious to get it in the woods with its big brother and see how they do.
Mike

Have fun! I have some Makita power tools, and for the most part they are sum tough dudes. Never used a Makita chainsaw, hope to someday....

You also own a Subaru so your definition of tough may be slightly lower than the average Joe ;).

Enjoy your saw!
I was looking at a new 540 Makita a few years ago on sale and did not know what I was looking at, Pre As time lol. I thought dam that is a nice saw for a good price. Hind sight is always's 20/20.
Of course some will say it is not the best for power to weight ratio and such but who cares it will cut wood and should last you a long time.

where in new york did you get it? is that the same saw as the dolmar 5100?

Nope not quite a 5100. But they are a nice saw. I'm glad you like it RMS61, and I think you're going to be happy. I have a Dolmar 111 which is very close too the 540. It's always been a good starter (all my Dolmars are), and for it's size is quite a good cutter. I run mine with a oregon powermatch 18" and .325 Stihl RS chain. There really is something to be said for ease of starting and a good steady idle. :cheers:

For a second there I thought that you were talking about the HOMELITE 540 and I got all excited. My bad. I'll just go on to "back in the day" where I belong.

Congrats on new saw!
I had the same thoughts as Hoss...thought Homey 540 when I seen the post. Hey Hoss we can talk about Homey 540 as much as ya like...rather like mine.

Congrats on new saw!
I had the same thoughts as Hoss...thought Homey 540 when I seen the post. Hey Hoss we can talk about Homey 540 as much as ya like...rather like mine.

Yup it's (homie 540) one baaad billy. I see that it is the "big" saw in your listed collection and that's plenty. My 540 gives my buddy with an 066dp fits. It ia almost as fast in normal cutting and much quicker in"ripping". cuts

Melly-Mel, It came out of Depew, New York.
Teacherman, If you ever get to Kentucky, give me a holler I have 3 Makitas now and we will go to the woods and "Buzz a little bark".
Austin1, Yes I know that the technology isn't "cutting edge" but neither am I. 2 old dinosaurs might still get a little wood cut.
Zodiac 45- yes I will gladly trade a little weight and new technology for an easy starter and reliable runner. Heck, they will all cut faster than I want to work anymore anyway!LOL
Thanks everyone, I am satisfied with it so far. I'll give you an update later if anything changes.
Mike

Stop right now and loctite the lower right front screw that holds the muffler to the case....if you don't you will lose it and most likely put in a just slightly too long a screw and kill your ignition coil

Thanks!

Thank You for that advice!!! You have obviously seen that before and are passing on good info!!! WILL DO, and thanks again.
Mike

Just replaced two coils on them

And one of them is the second time for a guy who replaced his own coil before and did it again

where in new york did you get it? is that the same saw as the dolmar 5100?

The 109,110,111,115, 540 were all the same family and predecesors to the the 5100. The 5100 out does the best running saw in that family by a good amount. The 115 (the old hot rod of that family) was a damn good running, fast saw for it's time.) It is just an older design, and not a 5100.

There is not currently a makita version of the dolmar 5100

The 109,110,111,115, 540 were all the same family and predecesors to the the 5100. The 5100 out does the best running saw in that family by a good amount. The 115 (the old hot rod of that family) was a damn good running, fast saw for it's time.) It is just an older design, and not a 5100.

There is not currently a makita version of the dolmar 5100

+1!

...but there is a Makita version of the 5000, at least in the UK, that use the same engine, but different handlebar, crank and coil (max 13,500 rpm).

...and the Makita 5200 was the same as the Dolmar 115, and a more capable saw than the 540.....

Last edited:
Back