oh no, my 026 is smoking and quit!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robotman

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Crap... I was just out doing some bucking when my Stihl 026 started smoking from inside, smelling like burning rubber, and then quit. It's obviously overheated. I'm just letting it cool right now, but I'm scared the machine is seriously damaged.

Any suggestions as to what might have gone wrong?

Thanks in advance. :cry:

ha ha... nope, I'm not that much of a newbie.

There was lots of chain oil in the chain oil tank, and properly mixed oil/gas in the gas tank.

Are you sure you didnt accidently half engage the brake, maybe burnt that up?

Did it seize? Check the plug?

Dan I'm glad you brought that up. With your power as a moderator can you change it? I had a little "assistance" when I was signing up and a user name of smokindodge might be a little easier to remember.

I suggest you check under the muffler where the casings mates to form the oil tank. I have seen a couple gaskets fail there apparently from to much heat from the muffler coming loose and toasting it. When it happens you will leak bar oil and the heat from the muffler burns the oil. Do'nt know but sounds like a possibility.

Thanks Brushwacker, actually, it did look like the smoke was coming from around or behind the muffler.

RED-85-Z51: Nope, I'm pretty sure it's not the brake, and the engine isn't seized. It was sounding a little weird though. :/

Was definitely a burned rubber smell... a friend suggested it might be the clutch but I'm not so sure.

Latest posts

Back