OHIO new business

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have to understand that most arborists on this site have studied arborculture in school or learned from another arborist and read Shigo and Dirr on their own time. When you spend years learning the business and physiology of trees you take pride in the field. It seems that many will post on this sight saying they cut wood before and can climb, learning from Utube, so they want to jump into the business. They don't really care about the field they just think its fun climbing a tree and hacking off limbs. Arborists have seen 100 year old trees ruined by hacks taking off large limbs. Thats why you get some negative feedback. If you really have an intrest in the field and asked what you need to learn to do tree work properly then you probably would get more help.

Most unions in my area will strike at a business if they don't hire union workers and obstruct "scabs" from doing the job. I am surprised you cant handle a little banter, I am sure you can dish it out.
I don't think it's "a little banter". It's more of the gotta be thick skinned, smell my glove, gotta pay you dues crap. For what? A guy can't come on here and ask a dumb question without being run off because ?????????? why. You're keeping him safer? You recognize by his question that he'll never be able to do proper tree work? You're saving the trees? Give me a break. It's stupid bull crap.
Phil

I don't think it's "a little banter". It's more of the gotta be thick skinned, smell my glove, gotta pay you dues crap. For what? A guy can't come on here and ask a dumb question without being run off because ?????????? why. You're keeping him safer? You recognize by his question that he'll never be able to do proper tree work? You're saving the trees? Give me a break. It's stupid bull crap.
Phil

Man, you're a crabby old fella this morning...

... I cannot do anymore right now without a boom truck, or something similar, your thoughts please...

If you can't climb any tree you see you shouldn't be in this business. Yes, a bucket truck is a great crutch to use to get many jobs done faster, but there are also many jobs that you can't get to even with a 40' boom truck.

I started my business at age 60 so age itself is no barrier.

If you can't climb any tree you see you shouldn't be in this business. Yes, a bucket truck is a great crutch to use to get many jobs done faster, but there are also many jobs that you can't get to even with a 40' boom truck.

Yeah, and denial isn't a river in Egypt either.

Phil

It's the d i c k clique that has taken over this site in general and this section in particular. It's like a seedy biker gang of losers taking over a local bar and chasing all the customers out. The only reason I stay is that I won't be bullied, either online or in person.

Bullies in general are spineless cowards and being online gives them the protection they need to act out their aggressive fantasies. There is entirely to much of that here. Getting rid of the six pack or so of the core d i c k clickers would make this site a far better place.

Last edited:
Phil

I guess my point was, what are we supposed to do, welcome every out of work 55 year old pipe fitter (or retired computer geek on a lawn tractor) that comes along wanting to get into the trade?? I mean really... that's one of the great things about this site to me, it gives me a chance to voice my opinion about such things. I put in my time, I started dragging brush at 15... been doing nothing but treework for a living sinse 17. I've got a lot invested and work is still scarce sometimes, and this sort of thing is a large part of the problem! It really does get aggravating after a while.

Did look into some of the tow behinds and they looked feasible BUT did not ask anyone yet but they look like they have to have a pretty level spot, see they have outriggers and that may do it, and yes I can climb, not bad for a 55 year old, you won't catch many of them in the trees but I still do, and enjoy doing so, body kinda talking back though. Did consider some forestry trucks to, just to many choices and can ONLY start out with ONE boom truck.........................

Let me ask you a couple questions daddyo. What kind of climbing system you climb on and what kind of rope you use?

Is that when you dropped out (or was thrown out) of school? And is that why you use your chainsaw to carve your initials in a heritage tree?

Was when I dropped out. it was one of the best moves I ever made actually. I was basically running a crew down in sunny south florida my the time I was 19... the owner (of one of the most respected tree services in FL) practically begged me not to leave.. started talking about the nice company truck sitting there that could be mine etc. So yeah, I guess he got over the carving incident (I was 18), you old homo..

you sound like one that still lives at home, and has no expenses and cannot appreciate doing whatever it takes to feed your family

I got a good laugh out of that one old timer. I have been out on my own since I was 17. My kids are grown so all I have left to feed is my wife and my little dog. Still lives at home.....lmfao.

It's the d i c k clique that has taken over this site in general and this section in particular. It's like a seedy biker gang of losers taking over a local bar and chasing all the customers out. The only reason I stay is that I won't be bullied, either online or in person.

Bullies in general are spineless cowards and being online gives them the protection they need to act out their aggressive fantasies. There is entirely to much of that here. Getting rid of the six pack or so of the core d i c k clickers would make this site a far better place.

And if a handful of us left this site for an entire month, there would be nothing left but phony wannabees like yourself talking like you actually have some sort of clue what you're doing or some ####. It would be the end of a good thing IMO. Things were actually getting better when you shut the #### up for a while back there... why don't you try that some more!!

And how's that whipper chipper with the blown up motor doing, and the two wheel peel 80's one ton.. oh, and let's not forget your biggest piece of equipment, the "Steiner"... LMFAO, I couldn't even imagine trying to go out there with your skills (not to mention geriatric age) and that list of crap equipment.. so I gotta hand it to ya there.. truely laughable old man! :laugh:

:cheers:

YOU of all people should NOT UNDER ANY CONDITION CRITIQUE OTHERS EVER:angry:

And how's that whipper chipper with the blown up motor doing, and the two wheel peel 80's one ton.. oh, and let's not forget your biggest piece of equipment, the "Steiner"... LMFAO, I couldn't even imagine trying to go out there with your skills (not to mention geriatric age) and that list of crap equipment.. so I gotta hand it to ya there.. truely laughable old man! :laugh:

I have a mental picture of that.

I got news for ya, there has always been a #### clique here at AS to run off the wannabes. Always has and always will. I've seen a lot come and go. Go back and look through how many threads there are of wannabe startups who started out on their own without any training. Look around; most are no longer with us... Or either they get the hint that they are underqualified to advise anyone about anything tree related.

I got news for ya, there has always been a #### clique here at AS to run off the wannabes. Always has and always will. I've seen a lot come and go.

Well that, and the fact it's obvious people join this forum and start making a bunch of #### up. A hypothetical example would be some new guy that joins and says he is a welder or something and has been for thirty five years but he has been doing tree work on the side and decided he is going into the tree business. Next he mentions he wants to start out right with a crane and wants to know what kind of crane should he buy. Then, he gets a couple responses and wants to start arguing with folks. Three things become clear pretty quick here...(A) He really hasn't done enough tree work on the side to even mention, if any. (B) He couldn't buy a crane if his life depended on it. (C) The guy likes to make stuff up and has zero business trying to start a tree service.

Had a guy work for me 1 day a few years back and decided he was going to start his own tree service. He tried to steal my name but I put a stop to that. He fraudulently tried to pass off one of my insurance certificates as his own and I put a stop to that. Bought him an ad in the big yellow book and developed a web presence for himself (slightly different name than my company but still trying to rip off my name). His name is #### around town. Several terrible reviews online and elsewhere about him. Complaints with various agencies around town... It's really pretty comical I think.

I wonder if daddyo ever figured out how to bid a job yet?

And if a handful of us left this site for an entire month, there would be nothing left but phony wannabees like yourself talking like you actually have some sort of clue what you're doing or some ####. It would be the end of a good thing IMO. Things were actually getting better when you shut the #### up for a while back there... why don't you try that some more!!

Word.

I guess my point was, what are we supposed to do, welcome every out of work 55 year old pipe fitter (or retired computer geek on a lawn tractor) that comes along wanting to get into the trade?? I mean really... that's one of the great things about this site to me, it gives me a chance to voice my opinion about such things. I put in my time, I started dragging brush at 15... . I've got a lot invested and work is still scarce sometimes, and this sort of thing is a large part of the problem! It really does get aggravating after a while.

"been doing nothing but treework for a living sinse 17" Maybe you should of hung in there for the day they taught you how to spell "since"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back