Oil in the water! Water in the oil: GM 366 engine

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Car-part.com doesn't recognize bigger trucks, and it apparently does not allow searches by engine size, either. Probably good for other parts.

I bought a good looking intact engine for $350.00 off craigslist. We pulled the pan, inspected everything we could see. This engine appears to never have been installed after it was rebuilt; sadly, I don't really know any more history than that. I am rather concerned about the health of an engine that was rebuilt but never installed. The skirts of the pistons looked fine, cylinders were good (what we could see), cam lobes were ok, the thrust bearing looked new, and the engine turned over nice and smooth.

So...we are going to see if it works. We must put our water pump on it, and we will trade out the ignition system and carb, since we know they are working.

I would do a compression and leak down test before I installed and prime the oil pump before you start it...

Sorry man I just saw this thread and I woulda told off the bat that you had a crack somewhere. , mine went like that 2 years ago , thought I had a head gasket did that no better , then shortly after that I water to my lower bearing and we all know how that ends , when I put the new engine in , I had too also change the radiator because of the sludge build up , 366 are finicky engines but the parts are plentiful , I made mine into a 427 nite and day basically same block little shorter stroke but all the 427 upper parts are bolt on easy .

Yeah. I posted the question, but I kinda thought it had to be a cracked block. I was hoping that someone with more knowledge than myself would volunteer some info that would maybe shortcut the decision process or maybe have a solution.

We found an intact block, ready to install. It was supposedly rebuilt but never installed. Only $350, I couldn't pass it up. We pulled the pan, inspected from the bottom up...it all looked beautiful.

It's all installed, it sounds really good. We are cleaning up the mess it made; it gets a test drive today.

Pretty good, but it doesn't quite have the power I think it should, and it has very poor fast idle power. When operating the crane, it either has to be speeded up or saved from dying. For a $350.00 junk engine, it sure sounds good.

It's a carb problem; I haven't had time to fix it myself, so it isn't fixed yet.

Back