oil mixture confused!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know this is off subject but are any of the Home Owner trimmers made by Stihl or are they all rebadged Ryobis.

They are all made by Stihl, and the models available in the USA are made in Virgina Beach. The FS36 etc was a brief phase in the mid 90's. They weren't rebadged Ryobi's either - made for Stihl by Ryobi at a time Ryobi acually made some half decent stuff.

Ryobi, huh? Dang. Well, kind of dang. It starts, runs, and powers quite well - It's reliable does a nice job. I recently had to epoxy the throttle trigger back together after a helpful buddy tried to fit the thing in my trunk rather than leave the string head hanging out the back. When I had the trigger out, I swore I saw the Stihl parts logo on it - lending credence to the notion that Stihl had it built for them rather than re-badging an exisitng product. Either way, it IS a good machine for my uses.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Hmmm... there's more to this story... I has a vague recollection and checked with a good Stihl contact. Both Stihl and Ryobi bought this series of trimmers, made in the USA, from a company called IDC... The trimmers are the same basic engine, but the Stihl has metric fasteners, some different external components, and the Ryobi version has SAE fastners...

IDC= Internal Dynamics Corp., they made some good engines. Easy to rebuild if needed and cheap because there is a million of the older ones out there. I use them because of the before mentioned reasons and they seem to be rather reliable. Ryan, Ryobi, Craftsman, Stihl and a couple of other brands. Make for cheap power heads for cultivators, pole saws, etc..

Back