Oil suggestion 100:1 or 50:1 on new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read an article on break in that actually said to run the engine hard during break in. It went into a lot of detail but the gist was that the chrome lined cylinders of modern engines have such a fine cross hatch your break in time is limited. If you don't get a good load on the engine right away your rings may not seat properly before the cross hatch is polished away.

Broke in Stihl 044 using Dino oil before synthetics were here by cutting down 56" Maple and bucked it up. More than breakin don't run wideopen out of the cut. This method of breakin has only gotten me 3000+hours with the replacemant of one bearing seal. Of course breaking in other brands maybe differant. Like Gary says just go cut wood.

Last edited:
I'm only doing the 'break in' thing so I dont void the 24 month warranty. I've put 5 tanks of gas thru mine and now will get the first service done ... but I will still keep the fuel mixture at around 40:1

the fuel mix topic has been discussed several times, It doesnt matter what mix ratio you use, in the end its all the same.

example 100:1 is more concentrated than 50:1, so you will use approx. twice the amount of 50:1 mix as you would 100:1 mix......end result is the same its just a matter of how concentrated the oil is!!!!

as far as break in goes,if its a two stroke really no such thing & how can there be the engine runs at a much higher RPM, no oil pump cause oil`s in with the gas so the lubrication aspects are already in play.

LXT............

Oil mix threads... just when I thought I heard it all.. "It doesn't matter what ratio you use" ... "More concentrated...". That's a new angle.... :monkey:

Last edited:
I'm with Gary,If I told a pro okay now break that 660 in real gentle now! I would get laughed outta the shop.Run them hard boys!

I'm with Gary,If I told a pro okay now break that 660 in real gentle now! I would get laughed outta the shop.Run them hard boys!

Your taking the break in thing way to far. Its a 2 stroke saw not a 4 stroke car. Hard to baby a saw thru a break in period.

I'm not saying the saws have to be run easy - however many saw owners CHOOSE to run them "easier" or run them hard with a higher ratio of oil like 40:1 or 32:1 for the first few tanks full. That's their choice!

I just don't think there is any reason NOT to unless it's a big old hairy macho thing like "run the S.O.B. hard and if she blows she blows". Maybe that's the mantra in some areas of the country or some occupations.

I think it still comes down to personal choice.

Al

I just received a Dolmar 5100. Manual suggested using the Dolmar oil at 100:1 and all others at 50:1. Is the Dolmar oil a synthetic or similar to Amsoil?

There were no break in instructions, some have a recommendaiton?

Thanks.

Too much paranoia, follow the Manuals instructions, (no more - no less).

What he said

Is Dolmar synthetic like Amsoil? almost a certainty

Would Dolmar or the dealer try to deny warranty if you used Amsoil no matter what the ratio? Probably.

Amsoil has it's own warranty policy.

100 to 1 has been feasible as a standard for many years but the industry has resisted it tooth and nail.

It does crack me up all the experts here telling you that more oil is better.....some will tell you 16 to 1 is optimum not telling you that that ratio was for a specific test and applied to castor based oil in leaded hi-octane gasoline.

some will tell you 16 to 1 is optimum not telling you that that ratio was for a specific test and applied to castor based oil in leaded hi-octane gasoline.

I'll take that bet

*throws a dollar on the table*

I am serious......not picking on you ben I'll pay the buck if you can show me it wasn't

See I am quite likely thinking of a different test

And you may have evidence of straight 30 non detergent being tested and this was the result but I never saw that data nor remember it.

If you find me the hard data

I send you a buck any way you want it.

I am not trying to argue nor come off as a know it all. I pay for missing data all the time.

If you are thinking of Gordon Jennings test that test was complete junk and was known to be so from the second we read it in the magazine.

Ok..

I know a lot of people get that test jumbled in their memory.

He did do a second attempting to correct a lot of the problems but that one failed worse than the first

I'm not saying the saws have to be run easy - however many saw owners CHOOSE to run them "easier" or run them hard with a higher ratio of oil like 40:1 or 32:1 for the first few tanks full. That's their choice!

I just don't think there is any reason NOT to unless it's a big old hairy macho thing like "run the S.O.B. hard and if she blows she blows". Maybe that's the mantra in some areas of the country or some occupations.

I think it still comes down to personal choice.

Al

It ain't a macho thing Al... seriously.

The big deal to me is that there are too many "old wives tales" and overengineering tossed around here that just is not necessary. Yes, you are correct that it is a persons choice to run in their saw how they want.

Trust me... my saws make me money, so I wouldn't do it if I thought I was gonna hurt them or shorten their life span. So my point kinda is that all this hocus-pocus "break-in" stuff just is a moot point when just runnin' them hard right from the get-go has been workin' for years.:) :)

Gary

Gary -

That's cool - - didn't mean to get anyone upset either. Your right in that with today's technology and precision in the saws and the real world experience you guys have on a day to day basis, the break-in deal is probably not as critical as we are lead to believe.

I AM going to CUT wood in about 2.5 hours from now. Have a great weekend!

Al

Latest posts

Back