Oiling issue with a Homelite 3514c - known problem?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steved

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I bought a "refurbished" Homelite 3514c from a local guy that buys returned Homelite saws from Lowes/Home Depot, fixes them, and resells them. The guy put a new cylinder and piston in this one, looked like someone bought the saw and decided they didn't want it...looked to me like they dropped a bolt or nut into the cylinder, then ran the saw. Other wise, it looks like new...bar had barely any wear. So I bought this as a smaller saw to supplement my MS391. Its a 42cc saw, which is odd because its a 35cc model...its no Stihl, but it cuts fairly good for what it is.

It worked good for a few minutes of cutting right after I bought it, and abruptly started coughing the chain...apparently not oiling. Call the guy, take it back to him, he replaced the oil pump. Worked fine after that. Fast forward to last week, its been working good cutting on my log pile (probably cut about four cords with it). Took it up home to do some cutting at my folks place and it seems to have started not oiling or oiling very little. It hasn't coughed the chain yet, but I'm surprised for all the more oil its putting out. I know the weather has cooled down some, but I'm running a mix of Stihl Bar/Chain with some ATF to thin it down for cold weather we had last year...so the oil shouldn't be a problem, it runs through the Stihl fine.

So, after all that gibberish. Before I tear this thing apart, is there a known oiling issue with these Homelites that I should look for?

The bar oil hole good and clean, the rail groove clean?

You said the guy replaced the pump, maybe some line didn't get put back on good enough and wiggled loose?

Wow, really forgot I owned this saw this long...

Turned out the oiling issue was with the oil pump itself...the guy I bought it from fixed it.

Still have this saw, after some recent work, it still cuts well.

Is this one of the mostly plastic saws? From what I seen tearing down a customers their worse then a new poulan. I happen to have a new piston and rings here as the customer didn’t want to wait for the slow boat from China for parts(saw is long discontinued and parts are almost not available). Said customer got a box of parts back because he was being quite the a******.

Back