Oily MS200T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GIZROID

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just purchased a new MS 200 T 1 MO. ago. It is on it's 5 th tank of gas. The muffler is covered with oil. I have never had this happen with any other chain saws. I have a Husky brushcutter that is worn ou that has this same problem. Is this normal for this saw and will it go away after it is broken in? I am using 50:1 Stihl oil and high octane gas.

The inside of the muffler is covered in oil? Is it leaking out? It sounds like either your running super rich, or the oiler is leaking and seeping over that way dude to the way that you store the saw.

More info and maybe pics?

Oily 200t

This is mix oil not bar oil. The part of the muffler that is covered is the external silver cover. Sorry for my lack of the proper nomenclature. Another factor is that I have mainly used this saw in the tree for quick on/off cuts as opposed to using it for long periods on the ground where it might run a little hotter.

If it's being used for "quick cuts", this is normal. The saw isn't getting hot enough to burn cleaner. DON'T adjust your carb based on plug conditions. use a tach! Plug condition is only valid after extended high power usage and is a poor indicator of a 200T mixture in typical use,

Check your spark screen now and then - if you're carboning up, the screen will tend to block more easily. Just burn it off the screen with a propane torch (when out of the saw!).

Lakeside53 said:
The one in your pocket you need if the Forest Service drives up!:hmm3grin2orange:

Andy, that's my only saw that doesn't have a screen. I don't do much climbing and arbo work on FS land (read:none), so I felt comfortable taking it out. All of my others sure do though. Wouldn't be out there, even when not on gov't land, without them.

Back