Ok guys, who burnt the most thread!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For fun I picked up a few bundles (20 bricks totaling 38 lbs @ $4.99 per bundle) of GREN pressed sawdust bricks. They actually burned pretty well in my Regency i3100 insert. I plan on buying a few dozen more bundles in the off season for backup - maybe I can get a lower price in bulk (Menard's Building Center).

Started up easily using a few sticks of fatwood and a saw chip/wax muffin:

View attachment 348679
View attachment 348680

Dr,

I use those A LOT as fire starters in the boiler. They are a great deal. Use about 4 bundles if that per winter.

They work very well and are very overlooked at my Maynerds.

5 to 6 in an epa stove. heated up the house well enough didn't have to run the heat. I love my stove!

I cut trees everyday and it is hotter than hell. Quit talking about heat. Winter is so nice though, ready for another round.

I raked hay today, yep, hot. I would have rather been cutting, most of the time you can work in the shade.

I did stack more pine today, just a little in the late evening. At least something wood related.....

Why not wait till we are done burning everyday?

Well, technically, I guess a lot of guys burn year round to keep their hot water going.

pssst..the TV title and the chillblains award with the oak leaf cluster, etc...ain't worth a whole lot, even on antiques roadshow.....

...speaking of which , ONE TIME I want one of those people with the obscure worth a mint allegedly "thing" on that show go to the "expert" and say "Swell, this hodad is worth 50 grand! Woo whoo, yours for 49 right now, show me da money"!

I cut split stacked 7.5 cords. Neighbors thought I was nuts. I burnt 6 of it. Good to know, and now I'm going into all winters with at least that much. Year before, 3+ cords.

Firewood is like money in the bank. Good to have more then you need.

I typically burn a couple of full cords a year and try to keep at least one year ahead. When I first started back 5 years or so ago, I remember a neighbor wandering over and asking "what do you know that the rest of us don't seem to know?" He jokingly accused me of "turning survivalist", which elicited a chuckle from me. Truth of the matter is, I started gathering wood for a variety of reasons, and being prepared was one of them. I very much like the idea that in the event that we have an extreme weather event that might knock out power for an extended period of time, my home and family will remain warm enough to keep us all from suffering or getting sick as a result. I'm sure we'll have a number of neighbors coming over to stay and/or asking (or not asking?) for some wood too. I don't look forward to such an event, but I know we'll be in better shape than most in our suburban neighborhood.

PS. We're also ready to deal with those that don't ask for the wood or anything else for that matter... Ask and I'll gladly help you find a solution to your woes. Don't ask though and I won't allow you to just transfer them onto me without responding immediately!

I typically burn a couple of full cords a year and try to keep at least one year ahead. When I first started back 5 years or so ago, I remember a neighbor wandering over and asking "what do you know that the rest of us don't seem to know?" He jokingly accused me of "turning survivalist", which elicited a chuckle from me. Truth of the matter is, I started gathering wood for a variety of reasons, and being prepared was one of them. I very much like the idea that in the event that we have an extreme weather event that might knock out power for an extended period of time, my home and family will remain warm enough to keep us all from suffering or getting sick as a result. I'm sure we'll have a number of neighbors coming over to stay and/or asking (or not asking?) for some wood too. I don't look forward to such an event, but I know we'll be in better shape than most in our suburban neighborhood.

PS. We're also ready to deal with those that don't ask for the wood or anything else for that matter... Ask and I'll gladly help you find a solution to your woes. Don't ask though and I won't allow you to just transfer them onto me without responding immediately!

It's only been since the latter half of the 20th century that people got complacent. Just since ww2 and the huge industrial boom mostly fueled by incredibly cheap oil have people fallen out of favor in having a very well stocked pantry, big wood or coal stash, etc. In the history of humans, the "survivalists"....survived. The people who put back nothing...didn't.

A "great depression" like the 30s today (or any systemic general collapse scenario) would mean mass starvation and assorted other fun and games. 99% of humans would become predators unfortunately. and no, I don't think it is a smaller percentage either. People run out get desperate and go hungry for a week, that's it, they will try and take it, what "it" might be.

Back then, we still had a lot of people living rural with at least gardens, chickens, a well, a woodlot, etc. Today, we have three days worth of food in stores (maybe), just in time food delivery, water that can be turned off with a single hack or attack to millions, electricity goes down and people's big expensive homes turn into expensive tents because they have zero backup heat or cooling or lighting or cooking facilities without grid supplied ..everything. Only 2% of people are farmers today, and even there, I doubt all of them are prepared to go it at least a full year/growing season with no oil/gas/electricity/propane/ag chemicals, etc, plus having to guard everything constantly. It just ain't gonna happen too many places, not for very long anyway. You look at areas around the world now where little internal wars breakout, which mirror any sort of systemic collapse in "normality"m meh, it sucks, people don't make it, you never know which gang walking by is gonna attack, no nothing in the stores, etc.

Back then, we still had a lot of people living rural with at least gardens, chickens, a well, a woodlot, etc. Today, we have three days worth of food in stores (maybe), just in time food delivery, water that can be turned off with a single hack or attack to millions,,,

Once read a story about the depression in Los Angeles, how a girl's father would go to the beaches and trap lobster for dinner. Living high in desperate times. If there were any lobsters in that area today there would be a 1000 people trying to catch a single lobster. LA would vaporize itself in days. Think Rodney King riots, and multiply it for real, times 100. Most all of the USA is gas tank away from self destruction.

I believe I was over 7. I had 5 as a normal year and was scrounging standing dead to make up. I have 7 cords bucked and started to split.

I have never been ahead but this is the year it happens. I will not deal with scrounging for the same years wood again.

Once read a story about the depression in Los Angeles, how a girl's father would go to the beaches and trap lobster for dinner. Living high in desperate times. If there were any lobsters in that area today there would be a 1000 people trying to catch a single lobster. LA would vaporize itself in days. Think Rodney King riots, and multiply it for real, times 100. Most all of the USA is gas tank away from self destruction.

I paid attention to everything about the depression I could get from my folks and aunts and uncles and my two grand mothers, then assorted other older folks, back when I was a kid. the real life stories where fascinating, and I got innumerable lessons from them. That, plus the blizzard in 67 made me be a believer in being prepped. It has paid off in my life a few times now, even just having extra stored plain simple food.

Heck, here's one, was at the store last week, clear nice sunny day, blink, power goes out in the store. Everyone standing around staring. People abandoned their carts and walked out. Cashiers standing there staring at computer screen cash registers that stopped working. No prices marked ion merchandise, just the bar code. Etc.. I hung out ten minutes, it came back up, but just saying, 4/5ths of the customers just slap abandoned their carts and walked out.

Stuff can happen that quick. If it went down hard, and stayed down, they can't even sell the stuff in stores! A few days later, smash, loot, that is what would happen. Fuel for generators, how many gas stations can pump extra gas into your cans when they don't have power?

All our modern centralized everything civilization is, is a real thin veneer of bling and bull crap, and it won't take much to destroy it, leaving everyone with..not much. Shiny things that don't work.

Well, this thread is going gloomy.

Back on topic, I am glad to be on the losing side. Two real cords and still burning in my beyond EPA standards stove. I turn on the electric heaters when I travel.

I like to have time to play. Play is a good thing.

All our modern centralized everything civilization is, is a real thin veneer of bling and bull crap, and it won't take much to destroy it, leaving everyone with..not much. Shiny things that don't work.

Big city folks will go cannibal fast. I'm prepped to be comfortable for several months. Even installed a transfer switch so I can run my cabin on the 5500 Watt Generator.

Burned 9 full cords. This years wood and half of next years wood. I did get another 6 cords cut and split so I am still ahead.
Woodmaster 3300, We keep the house and basement about 70. Also our domestic hot water.
And still burning !! Hopefull it will warm up next week.

When it got more then 20 below here, I would console myself by thinking, "it could be worse, I could be in Northern Minnesota". :)

Big city folks will go cannibal fast. I'm prepped to be comfortable for several months. Even installed a transfer switch so I can run my cabin on the 5500 Watt Generator.

I am prepped enough we can go an entire full gardening season, until the next one, so more than a year, easy. I have a gennie, but three solar panels would do the bulk of the essential powering of stuff, which wouldn't be much long term. The main one, a few simple lights, keep some radios charged, and my battery powered saw. I estimated before I could do over ten cord a year on one charge per day. I have a bore bucket for the well.

Latest posts

Back