OK I admit, I don't get it.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got running saws from 30cc up to 94cc. I ain't grabbin the 394xp to cut twigs, but it beats the hell out of anything smaller when you need it. I prefer having the right tool for the job. Your choice if you want to spend an hour doing a ten minute job, but I value my time. :)

I think most of time this thread points out something. If you buy the big saw then you don't want or need its little brother. You will always say I am happy I bought the big model. HOWEVER if you run say a 056 super the buy the mag two (thinking how much better it will be) you may be dissappointed. BTW the 346 and 200t are in a class by themselves. Mike

Big saw mentality. Props to you if you want to limb and buck a tree with a 441 but I've just always thought about the right tool for the job. There are numerous reasons as to why, but some guys are just to manly to pick up a little ol ms170.

Of course big saws are funner. Until I'm burly enough to man handle a 661 with one hand like the fella who set the stock saw record here not too long ago, I'll keep using my little saws for what they're capable of doing.

Its the same reason guys put a lift on a truck that is absolutely ridiculous for a daily driver..i use a ms 241 on the regular to cut small logs..ive met guys that id snap their forearm in half arm wrestling that would use a 395xp for those same small logs..i call it toolbag tim snydrome.

People that have somethin to prove crack me up :laugh:

I just match the tool for the job no matter what it is.

Its the same reason guys put a lift on a truck that is absolutely ridiculous for a daily driver..i use a ms 241 on the regular to cut small logs..ive met guys that id snap their forearm in half arm wrestling that would use a 395xp for those same small logs..i call it toolbag tim snydrome.

People that have somethin to prove crack me up :laugh:

I just match the tool for the job no matter what it is.
Amen Ryan!
Reminds me of those queers driving those lifted diesel pickup blowing smoke out of the tail pipe.... trying to prove something I guess.
I have a 2011 chevy 6 liter and some how I manage to get 18 600 weight yearling calves to the sale yard (in one load) 35 miles away with part of it being interstate.
Shoot, even I being border line midget (5'7") and don't have anything to prove.

What's the rule of thumb again? 5cc per inch of bar length?

Answer is simple

BAR ENVEY !!!
In this case not that much money to have a longer bar
Considering the other option
Or as some wood say it's not how long your bar is its how you use it!

Amen Ryan!
Reminds me of those queers driving those lifted diesel pickup blowing smoke out of the tail pipe.... trying to prove something I guess.
I have a 2011 chevy 6 liter and some how I manage to get 18 600 weight yearling calves to the sale yard (in one load) 35 miles away with part of it being interstate.
Shoot, even I being border line midget (5'7") don't have anything to prove.

Man..i see that alot too

You would have to meet me dad to appreciate this..

He was turning off the highway one day when this dildo in a truck with all those things on it gave him the finger because he cut the corner a little sharp..keep in mind we buried my grandmother ( his mom ) 4 days before that and he was on his way back from the vet after putting his dog down and she was on the front seat of his truck in a box..

He put the truck in reverse and backed up beside that dude and said " look motherphucker i buried my mom 4 days ago and i got my dead phuckin dog right here.. now what do you really wanna do about this ?"

That guy wasnt as tough in his big truck as he thought he was.

See, that's the thing - my smaller saws with narrow kerf chain aren't slow.

Besides, I'm cutting firewood. Running the saw is the short, easy part at the beginning of the job.

IMG_0023_zps5801081b.jpg

That's a 32" bar on the saw. If you think you can cut wood that size with anything resembling the same speed...using a tiny saw and narrow kerf chain....be my guest. :D That said, I suspect that we'll not be seeing any videos of professional fallers using MS170's.

IMG_0023_zps5801081b.jpg

That's a 32" bar on the saw. If you think you can cut wood that size with anything resembling the same speed...using a tiny saw and narrow kerf chain....be my guest. :D That said, I suspect that we'll not be seeing any videos of professional fallers using MS170's.

Of course if you cut big wood you need a big saw.

I fell 73 pecker poles in one day with a 241...i dont think any of those trees were bigger than 15" at the stump...most were in the 10" range.

Its just using the appropriate tool for the job is all , why would anyone sling a powerhead and bar that size to do the work a 50cc saw can do is beyond me.

IMG_0023_zps5801081b.jpg

We're talking apples to oranges here - my comments were about the tools I would use for the wood I cut, and not much of it is that size. And I'm not a pro faller. I certainly have bucked up larger stuff with a 42cc saw, and it was nowhere near as slow as you might think - and the time difference was still irrelevant compared to moving, splitting and stacking it.

Now for that kind of stuff I'd use my cheap 62cc clone with a 25" bar.
IMG_1241-1024.jpg

If the bar is not long enough to cut all the way through, then all that matters is that it is longer than half way.

I know how long it took to haul that out of there, and the saw time was nothing.

Big saws are fun. But like many have said, it's about pickin the tool for the job. And that usually comes with a touch of CAD, no matter what size saw someone prefers.

i cut with a 026 and a bigger saw either a 036 ,361 or bigger if i need to test a saw but the one i prefer to run is the 026 up to 16 inches i have played with a 044 046 and 066 on stuff over 16 but depends on how froggy i feel that day

Back