Ok second mistake...read this and dont do it!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlantern412

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I am giving my Husky 359 a tune up. I unscrew the two bolts to and when I go to take the clutch cover off, it feels stuck. What could be holding it on?? So what do I do, stop and calmly try and figure out what could possibly be holding the cover on?? No. I pull harder and it eventually pops off. nothing appears to be out of place. Hmmm... So I go about the tune up. Now I try and put it back on. It will not go. I wonder what the hell is keeping it from just popping over like I have done 1000 times before. So I call my local dealer and in 30 seconds he tells me, "you took the clutch cover off when the brake was on." I sure did. He tells me i can try and force it back but tis a real pain and you dont want to break the plastic its in forcing it. So, in my car I go and an hr later I have it back together. Lesson learned, never take the clutch cover off when the brake is on!!! The dealership was great and didnt charge me a nikel..Just my time, which I have none of!!!

I've done that once on by 455. I was felling a tree, bar pinched and the brake had kicked on in the process. Everything was so tight I had to take the clutch cover off with the brake on. I had to use a pliers to disengage it later. It worked, but I felt like I was going to break it.

I have learned that lesson the hard way too if you take a scrench and a hammer and use them to turn the little metal piece with three ears where the brake handle goes if you turn it clockwise it will disengage the brake usually only takes about a minute to do but you will need something to hold the cover still while you do this.

This is something I do when people bring this problem to me. No tools needed. Just put the cover back over the bar studs and line the chainbrake hand guard up. ( if the guard is still on the saw and not the cover) Then grab the saw and pull the hand guard back and it will unlock.

If the hand guard is part of the cover, just line the two bar studs up and pull it back and it will unlock.

Hope this helps in the future.

Yep :help: I have been there, done that, ONE time only tho! :dizzy:

Once I figured out what was going on - I was able to stick small pliers in the 3-prong part, that catches the brake handle on the saw, and re-set it that way.

I did that once but with the Shindaiwa's they unlock easily. After I spent some time trying to force it back on.

My brother once told me he was going to take his saw to the shop. Told me the chain wouldn't turn. When I asked him about the chain brake, he got a funny look on his face, but it saved him a trip to town.

i bought a makita 540 a couple of weeks ago that had problems with the CB. the seller said it had been at the dealer who said it was the clutch. i could not get the cover back on, so i gave them a low-ball figure and said that if i had to have the clutch replaced i would be in for another $100. the seller bit. when i got i home it fooled with resetting the CB spring and the saw runs great.

i bought a makita 540 a couple of weeks ago that had problems with the CB. the seller said it had been at the dealer who said it was the clutch. i could not get the cover back on, so i gave them a low-ball figure and said that if i had to have the clutch replaced i would be in for another $100. the seller bit. when i got i home it fooled with resetting the CB spring and the saw runs great.

yup.
the 520i that i just got going had the brake band twisted off and missing.
gee, i wonder why they broke it off?:monkey:

if they had the manual i'm sure it would have told them how to disengage the brake with the cover off......
but some people aren't smart enough to read a manual!!!
:greenchainsaw:

When I bought my 359 it was sort of fubarred right on the saw and that cover was hell to pry off. There was so much chips and mung in there, that someone before had set the brake and couldn't re-set it to off.. Then time and moving the saw around happened and it was just clogged.

Like JT78 said i figured out the 3 tab nut and once it was all clean, it was cake to put it back on and it works fine.

I got a pretty good deal I think at half price for a good saw.. I was willing to risk some parts replacement if needed, but none were.

It has the green fuel cap and will get modded somewhat after i get more time with it as is. That way I will know what is better and or worse, if some change doesn't work as planned.

The first 2 mods will be removing the limityers and setting the saw my way, then put them back, and a muffler mod.

It has a walbro carb, but it too seems to be fine.. I will investigate the clamp and replace it if it is plastic.

Over all it is a torquey saw, and I with the weight I have no need to push on it hard. I know there is some RPM to be had.

The easy way to take care of "husky stuck brake problem"

Get a cheap socket that fits the 3 way thingy and cut 3 square notches in it so you can use a ratchet to unlock it.

You even drill a hole through the socket to use your scrench with it as well.

I'll post a pic tomorrow...the tool is at work right now.

so about 2004 when i was younger and stupider, (im still young and stupid compared to most)

i had seen my uncle stick a 372 in a pine that set back on the saw. being experienced he took the power head off before backing the skidder arch into the tree to push it over. i tried that with a 2156 (a red 357) and actually got the power head off with the bar and chain stuck in the tree. i dont know how at this point but i did. it took me like 2 minutes of cutting and pushing to get the tree on the ground and 30 minutes of fumbling with the saw to get the power head off and back on. i wanted to take the saw parts in a box back to the dealer and get a 372. but dad was the purchasing dept and he wanted the lighter saw. that same week couldnt figure out why the clutch cover wouldnt come off. then dad wanted to take it back, but i figured out what was wrong.

weve spent alot of time mad at that saw, but it rocks so we keep it. now that we have all the quirks figured out.

My 350 came to me with a bag of parts. These parts are for the chain brake. I guess the previous owner couldn't figure out how to release the chain brake after removing the clutch cover with the brake was engaged.

I would like to see some pics of the socket cut to make this job easier.

I did the same silly thing once, so did something like this...

The easy way to take care of "husky stuck brake problem"

Get a cheap socket that fits the 3 way thingy and cut 3 square notches in it so you can use a ratchet to unlock it.

You even drill a hole through the socket to use your scrench with it as well.

I'll post a pic tomorrow...the tool is at work right now.

...but I did this:
- cut a short pc of alum pipe about 3 to 4 inches long
- then at one end I marked the three notches and cut them out
- at the other end drilled a hole through both sides of the pipe so I could insert the scrench screwdriver end through for leaverage for turning and it works great:)

I've thought of modifying the scrench the same way too.

Don't know if it would hold up to the torque though.

Most dealers give em' away if you really need em'....free is better.

Back