ok, what did I get?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

old guy

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I stopped at a garage sale this morning and picked up an old Stihl, it has a hand guard not a chain brake, a horizontal engine, the muff is behind the clutch cover and the spark plug in the back.
It has a 20" hard nose bar, gas tank and starter seem to be one piece, has rubber av.
The choke lever sticks up out of a depression in the right side top of the filter cover, the air filter a square screen which will keep out branches and small birds.
The model no. is unreadable, the serial no. 4968730 I found on the front by the bar oil cap.
This thing has an outboard clutch and the sprocket is shot, it is filthy dirty but is complete except for a missing screw by the sparkplug. I poured dab of fuel in the carb. and it fired and tried to run.
It is not A large heavy saw and doesn't have a lot of wear on the bar plates n stuff.

I know PICS! but I can't get them off my camera to the computer.

John

I got the muffler off & stuck a straw in the port and brought the piston up and marked the straw, it measures about 1.780" across the piston, what does that make it, I know you Stihl heads know this.:D
The piston and cyl look fine.
Now I gotta go put all that back together.:eek:

029 is my guess
No no no this is old, there ain't no plastic on it, even the filter cover is heavy cast metal.
I got it all back together and put some fuel in the tank and a little in the carb and gave it a pull and it fired and ran a bit, I pulled again and it fired and ran a bit another pull and it idled very slow then quit so i set the idle up a tad and she runs.
As the sprocket is too shot to run I didn't have the bar & chain on it, I hope I can find a sprocket.

John

Sure be a lot easier to find a sprocket if you knew what saw it was. Size wise, look at images of the Stihl 031 and see if it looks like yours...

45 mm horizontal cylinder...032

Problem is, it does not have a true horizontal engine, more like a canted back engine but it is 45 mm and the muffler behind the clutch cover.

Yeah it looks a lot like that but the top cover does not have those vents, it looks like yours has all that orange top in one piece, on mine that top screw only takes off the square center part and the rest is attached to the rear handle and also attaches with two bolts up front.

Latest posts

Back