OK, who wants to help with this pile?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clinchscavalry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
View attachment 287161

The ATV pulling the splitter is loaded on the trailer. Saw gas, oil, tools, helmet, etc. are in the truck, and I need to get this pile rendered into next season's firewood and get it out of my way before mowing season.

This is one of those Henny Penny things. Who wants to help me make firewood out of this and keep half of it?

Incidentally, the stash has grown since this pic was taken, and there're still some trees "on the hoof" to take down if time permits;)

Oh, I about forgot. The grapple tractor is standing by for sorting and pulling out everything.

Last edited:
We cut and stack on shares, but you're a bit too far away to justify the trip. Nice lookin' start on next winter. :msp_thumbup:

Not I, said the Wisconsinite:msp_tongue:

Yep, I know, the folks that could REALLY use this wood are at least a day's drive away. I have an endless supply of this great burning pecan, I can't use all of it myself, but I also hate to waste it. I just burned up about twenty cords in various piles around the orchard and another 10 cords on two other orchards. This stack was some of the larger limbs from a bad storm last summer.

Maybe someone from around here will "answer the call".

Goodnight to all. I'm too old to be up right now.;)

Maybe a few of us northerners could rent a log hauler and make it a road trip. Ya got a bunkhouse there?:yoyo:
I'd almost do it for the pecan for the smoker. Buying those little bags of chips can get expensive.

It doesn't look like there is a whole lot there to be given half away when it seems you could handle that in a couple days.

Distance, distance, distance.

Some day I'd like to do a variation on the motorhome thing that old folks do. Pack my 10 best saws in the Jeep and travel around for a month or two and meet a bunch of you guys and do a little cuttin'.

It doesn't look like there is a whole lot there to be given half away when it seems you could handle that in a couple days.

Cutting it to length is the fast part. Splitting, loading, unloading and stacking takes the time. This little pile is maybe 5 cords, which is more than I burn in a normal winter here in the South. At my advanced age and knee/foot condition (as in piss poor), that's at least five days of work for me. One cord per day is about my limit.

Three guys from up in VA and TN wanted a load for cooking. They were supposed to be here late last summer. They never showed up, so I assume that particular pile has been forfeited.;)

I only saved the bigger limbs, piled up the trunks (too tough and heavy to split) and the other limbs and burned them all a couple weeks ago. This is just from storm damage. I haven't even started thinning out the trees I need to remove, and I won't until I get all this cleaned up and moved. Like I said, it's almost an endless supply.

Besides, there's always next winter.:msp_smile:

Distance, distance, distance.

Some day I'd like to do a variation on the motorhome thing that old folks do. Pack my 10 best saws in the Jeep and travel around for a month or two and meet a bunch of you guys and do a little cuttin'.

Forget the motorhome, pretend your old, load up the Heep, theres thousands of acres of storm damage to cut up, should take 15-25 years to clean up. Bring your own beer, it cost too much here, but you'll never have to ask for one. All I can offer is your own cabin on a lake, and hands off my walleye!, You can have the bass,pike and mudpout.

Distance sucks.

You've got me thinking about it!

View attachment 287161

The ATV pulling the splitter is loaded on the trailer. Saw gas, oil, tools, helmet, etc. are in the truck, and I need to get this pile rendered into next season's firewood and get it out of my way before mowing season.

This is one of those Henny Penny things. Who wants to help me make firewood out of this and keep half of it?

Incidentally, the stash has grown since this pic was taken, and there're still some trees "on the hoof" to take down if time permits;)

Oh, I about forgot. The grapple tractor is standing by for sorting and pulling out everything.

Where exactly are you located in GA?

Yep, I know, the folks that could REALLY use this wood are at least a day's drive away. I have an endless supply of this great burning pecan, I can't use all of it myself, but I also hate to waste it. I just burned up about twenty cords in various piles around the orchard and another 10 cords on two other orchards. This stack was some of the larger limbs from a bad storm last summer.

Maybe someone from around here will "answer the call".

Goodnight to all. I'm too old to be up right now.;)
Hmm...I might be a prospect...Birmingham, AL....hmmm:chainsaw:

All kiddin' aside. Anyone is welcome to come to my orchards and take away firewood. I simply cannot cut and split all of it, and I'd appreciate someone who would put it to use. We don't have a viable market for it around here, and my past attempts to sell it just aren't worth my time and efforts. I do heat solely with firewood, but my main purpose and goal is to keep the orchards cleaned up.

The best time to get a huge supply is either right after pruning/thinning in late winter (which I didn't do this season) or in late summer after a storm. The amount of limbs on the ground is amazing sometimes. If I have the time, there are quite a few trees that need to be removed. The stuff in my pile is partially seasoned though, and it would actually be of use to some for the remainder of the cool weather. I sold some to a friend who said "it burns good". I intend to stack it for use next winter when it will be totally air dried.

Y'all come on down. I have a "guest cottage" that rents out cheap, free to folks helping me clean up.

I want to do all or most of my firewood cutting in the next month since the rest of the time I'll be busy with normal orchard management jobs like cutting grass:(

BTW, in case some of you aren't familiar with pecan, nothing is better for cooking that I know of:msp_thumbsup:

I had a pile of pecan wood similar to yours. I let it sit on the ground too long and lost quite a bit to rot. I had to burn some of it in the burn pile. I have been working the last couple of weeks getting the pecan off the ground and on rails. I'm just about done. I have about 3 pieces of the trunk to do. Of course, spitting comes next. At least it is off the ground.

I had a pile of pecan wood similar to yours. I let it sit on the ground too long and lost quite a bit to rot. I had to burn some of it in the burn pile. I have been working the last couple of weeks getting the pecan off the ground and on rails. I'm just about done. I have about 3 pieces of the trunk to do. Of course, spitting comes next. At least it is off the ground.

You're right, pecan does seem to rot fairly quickly if left in contact with the ground. Of course, titanium rots in our climate:msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back