Ok, you be the judge

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fish

Tree Freak
Had this MS310 come in a couple of weeks ago for "warranty" work.....

Locked up, he showed me his reciept from Feb 2007 for the saw, a new
fuel container, and a 6 pack of oil mix. He says that the last time he used
the saw, a few weeks ago, it ran great. The next week he went to use it
and it was locked up. I told him I would look at it that afternoon, and did not promise anything, as I have been there, done that. After he left, I open the
fuel tank, and the old gas smell was real bad. I tore it down, this is what I found. You tell me what you think, what he did wrong, what we did wrong, what Stihl did wrong, who should pay, and pay what etc........

epicklein22
Did you ask him how he liked that 2 cycle oil:hmm3grin2orange:. I don't think stihl covers that under their warranty, soooo, I would call him up and tell him the bad news. I would also give him the price of the new p & c including a free package of oil.:dizzy:.

What are your plans fish?

16:1mix

16:1mix

Addicted to ArboristSite
The neighbor 'borrowed' it for an afternoon while the owner was gone and quickly returned it after it quit running on straight gasoline.

Hire a private investigator and have the offending neighbor castrated.

OR

The owner is at fault....(!)

Griffbm3

Griffbm3

ArboristSite Guru
Hmmmm

Is there a chance he put bar oil in the fuel tank while near empty, ran it, stalled it, realized it, poured it out, refilled it, and screwed it up something fierce? That is some beautiful sludge, or as Gary said, Molasses, which is where they make Rum and other fine alcoholic beverages... Okay, it's Friday night and I am on AS, Need another drink.

Jason

ford832

ford832

ArboristSite Guru
Air leak or carb gummed such that it's running super lean.Stihl should warranty the parts and you should fix it for nothing.Definately not the customers fault as likely nobody told him how to store it properly:dizzy:

MikeInParadise

MikeInParadise

ArboristSite Guru
I would suggest getting a hold of Paul Harvey and gettting

The Rest of the Story

If he bought the saw 7 months ago, used the Stihl oil with stabilizer mixed correctly,
then it seems to me that there is something else which is at play here other than 7 month old fuel.

I am sure that you are not getting the entire story on this one!

Fish

Tree Freak
Not really, if there is any different story, no one has told me...
Yes the fault is fuel related, obviously. I quizzed him up and down, and
he stuck to his guns. I suspected, and smelled, maybe the milkjug effect,
or even sugar in the tank, but he held his own.

He also brought in his old 031, I put in new points and it runs like new.
He wants to know why his 031 is ok, amd his new ms310 is dead.
What can one say?

RED-85-Z51

RED-85-Z51

Addicted to ArboristSite
Ill put in a Vote for old stale mix, and a dull chain.

I had a Ryobi trimmer come in that I was told "took it out of storage and it ran fine, then it just quit".

Compression test revealed a blazing 50psi, wet.

I pulled the muffler and the piston was black. I smelled the gas and it was putrid.

I imagine it ran fine until it roasted itself to death.

--------
Id split parts/labor...as clearly he wasnt told how to properly store the saw. I mean it's 7 months old. He pretty much bought it for a job, used it a few times, filled it up, stored it, and recently tried to use it.

spacemule

spacemule

The Peanut Gallery
Ill put in a Vote for old stale mix, and a dull chain.

I had a Ryobi trimmer come in that I was told "took it out of storage and it ran fine, then it just quit".

Compression test revealed a blazing 50psi, wet.

I pulled the muffler and the piston was black. I smelled the gas and it was putrid.

I imagine it ran fine until it roasted itself to death.

--------
Id split parts/labor...as clearly he wasnt told how to properly store the saw. I mean it's 7 months old. He pretty much bought it for a job, used it a few times, filled it up, stored it, and recently tried to use it.
How do you know what he was told?

Latest posts