Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey everybody, Been inspecting saws all day. 024 stihl ran for a bit then shut it off. Opened fuel tank, gas didn't smell bad but dumped it anyway. Wait a minute, that didn't look like oil/gas mix to me. Pulled off muffler, HOLY COW!!!!!!! Looks like it has been straight gassed. So now I need some advice. I'm going to repair it but need to know any good sources for cylinder/piston. Looked on evilbay, but leery of most of that stuff. Although some of the prices look good, with all the talk about junk stuff out there, I'm a little worried. If some of you would point me to a few suppliers I would be grateful. Or if somebody has this stuff on a shelf and willing to sell it let me know. I find myself more and more depending on you all, which is a good thing. Thanks

Hey everybody, Been inspecting saws all day. 024 stihl ran for a bit then shut it off. Opened fuel tank, gas didn't smell bad but dumped it anyway. Wait a minute, that didn't look like oil/gas mix to me. Pulled off muffler, HOLY COW!!!!!!! Looks like it has been straight gassed. So now I need some advice. I'm going to repair it but need to know any good sources for cylinder/piston. Looked on evilbay, but leery of most of that stuff. Although some of the prices look good, with all the talk about junk stuff out there, I'm a little worried. If some of you would point me to a few suppliers I would be grateful. Or if somebody has this stuff on a shelf and willing to sell it let me know. I find myself more and more depending on you all, which is a good thing. Thanks

The 024 probably don't need a cylinder... Just a piston...
Meteor would be good, but I've used cheap e bay pistons with good results...
39.00 will get it fixed...

I just presumed it would need a cylinder too. It has what look like scratches in it but would this be aluminum transfer from the piston? If so, how do I get that off? View attachment 290247View attachment 290248View attachment 290249

Muratic acid with a q-tip works well and is easy to control. Just keep some baking soda water handy to neutralize any of the acid that gets onto the un-coated surfaces of the aluminum on the cylinder. It may take several applications but I can usually get it to dissolve all of the aluminum transfer. Then all you have to do before installing a new piston is a light honing/crosshatch. You can even use some scotchbrite/fine grit paper with good results.

You might try posting your needs in the swap meet thread before purchasing one. lots of great people over there doing the barter/trade/sell thing.

Hard to tell but from what I can see is alum transfer. I've seen worse clean up and run well and for a long time.

I just presumed it would need a cylinder too. It has what look like scratches in it but would this be aluminum transfer from the piston? If so, how do I get that off? View attachment 290247View attachment 290248View attachment 290249

That can be cleaned up with some muratic acid and a Qtip. get the cylinder hot in the oven or on top of the wood stove take muratic acid w ith a q tip and start rubing at the mared markes on cyinder kep working on the aluminum transfermarkes it will smoke and bubble if there is a lot have a pan of water to rinse with that will nutrilize the acid. Do you have any pictures of the piston? May be able to clean it up and just be out the cost of ring or rings. I have a couple saws that run well with this treatment.

Muratic acid with a q-tip works well and is easy to control. Just keep some baking soda water handy to neutralize any of the acid that gets onto the un-coated surfaces of the aluminum on the cylinder. It may take several applications but I can usually get it to dissolve all of the aluminum transfer. Then all you have to do before installing a new piston is a light honing/crosshatch. You can even use some scotchbrite/fine grit paper with good results.

You might try posting your needs in the swap meet thread before purchasing one. lots of great people over there doing the barter/trade/sell thing.

Beat me to it.

View attachment 290115View attachment 290116View attachment 290117View attachment 290118

...Anybody know where a person can get a carb adjusting tool for the Hi and Low mixture screws that don't have a slot or hex? Or are they made of unobtanium.

If you don't have a Dremel you can use a hacksaw. Just sandwich the needle between two pieces of wood, clamp it in a vice, hold your tongue just right and cut away. Be careful to not cut crooked or too deep. Works great

Thanks everybody for the advice and tips. I wil get some pictures of the piston soon for further opinions. Would be great if it too can be saved. Now to find some muratic acid. HMMMM, I wonder if the wife keeps any of that with her makeup?:msp_ohmy:

Thanks everybody for the advice and tips. I wil get some pictures of the piston soon for further opinions. Would be great if it too can be saved. Now to find some muratic acid. HMMMM, I wonder if the wife keeps any of that with her makeup?:msp_ohmy:

I have saved a few jugs myself, I think it is worth the work. I let it set for a few minutes then sandpaper it off add more repeat several times when done it wont turn green. Wear rubber gloves in a ventilated area or outside.

Muratic Acid I have came from the local farm chain store.

I have saved a few jugs myself, I think it is worth the work. I let it set for a few minutes then sandpaper it off add more repeat several times when done it wont turn green. Wear rubber gloves in a ventilated area or outside.

Definately don't inhale..

Add a little more, if it has lite scratches after the treatment run it. It will be fine.

I have one that runs good that looks like heck. realy surprised it would run.

Here is one that will get it going fairly cheap 29.00 Piston and rings Bailey's

I have used these in 044 and I have a couple more I haven't put on saws yet in 046 and 066.

Last edited:
Here is one that will get it going fairly cheap 29.00 Piston and rings Bailey's

I have used these in 044 and I have a couple more I haven't put on saws yet in 046 and 066.

+1 on the bailey's stuff... They aren't always the cheapest, but are always real close, and absolutely great to deal with...
As far as some aluminum transfer???
Pssshhhh..... Get what ya can, then emery cloth some spiral, wipe the cylinder out, and re-assemble...
Run it... What little aluminum is on that nicasil coating, the fresh rings will have gone and out of your exhaust in the first tank... These motors aren't fragile... They just need Lotsa fuel and oil, and can digest alot of stuff and keep on running...
Ask me how I know...

I go through gallons of it stabilizing the pool when it's open. If you want, I can bring a gallon to work and you can come across the street and get some. :msp_wink:

You only have to breath the fumes once to know that you have to avoid them at all cost.:msp_scared: When I dump it in the pool, I'm on the run trying to avoid the cloud of fumes that always seems to chase me.

+1 on the bailey's stuff... They aren't always the cheapest, but are always real close, and absolutely great to deal with...
As far as some aluminum transfer???
Pssshhhh..... Get what ya can, then emery cloth some spiral, wipe the cylinder out, and re-assemble...
Run it... What little aluminum is on that nicasil coating, the fresh rings will have gone and out of your exhaust in the first tank... These motors aren't fragile... They just need Lotsa fuel and oil, and can digest alot of stuff and keep on running...
Ask me how I know...

Asking??????:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

36992581.jpg

Latest posts

Back