Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have started building a trailer for bucking logs. The logs I bring home are normally 8-12' long so I made the trailer a little over 14' long. It has a stand on it to hold several logs. You can cut from both ends working towards the middle without bending over. The cut rounds will roll down a 4' incline to the other side where the splitter will be staged. This will keep the rounds off the ground saving a lot of bending over. (As I get older this makes a big difference on my endurance.) Being able to keep the rounds off the ground will also help in snow & mud situations. There will be a small gate on the splitter side to where the log lift can rest on the edge of the trailer & really big rounds can be rolled from the trailer onto the log lift. On the back of the walk way's railing will be a couple of boxes for setting the saws & wood handling tool out of the way. I will post photos tomorrow.

I used 8" x 4" "I" beams for the main frame & 3" channel iron on 20" centers for the bed. I am estimating the total weight of the trailer with bucking frame to be around 2,300#. It has a single 7,000# axle with 14 ply tires in hopes to decrease rolling resistance. I am hoping it will tow well behind my splitter so I can take it some of the charity cuts as well.

If it works like I hope, it will keep 5-6 folks busy at the same time. (Loader operator, 2 people with saws - 1 to cut from both ends, 1-2 to load/unload the splitter, & the splitter operator.) Or if 2 splitters, 8-9 people. (This will be a time when 16" - 18" bars will work well.)

I have a 75' long pile of logs to process which seems to keep growing. I had considered building a log processor & actually have most of the parts on hand to build one. However, due to the shorter lengths of my logs & the bends/twists, decided on the "log bucking" trailer instead.

I have started building a trailer for bucking logs. The logs I bring home are normally 8-12' long so I made the trailer a little over 14' long. It has a stand on it to hold several logs. You can cut from both ends working towards the middle without bending over. The cut rounds will roll down a 4' incline to the other side where the splitter will be staged. This will keep the rounds off the ground saving a lot of bending over. (As I get older this makes a big difference on my endurance.) Being able to keep the rounds off the ground will also help in snow & mud situations. There will be a small gate on the splitter side to where the log lift can rest on the edge of the trailer & really big rounds can be rolled from the trailer onto the log lift. On the back of the walk way's railing will be a couple of boxes for setting the saws & wood handling tool out of the way. I will post photos tomorrow.

I used 8" x 4" "I" beams for the main frame & 3" channel iron on 20" centers for the bed. I am estimating the total weight of the trailer with bucking frame to be around 2,300#. It has a single 7,000# axle with 14 ply tires in hopes to decrease rolling resistance. I am hoping it will tow well behind my splitter so I can take it some of the charity cuts as well.

If it works like I hope, it will keep 5-6 folks busy at the same time. (Loader operator, 2 people with saws - 1 to cut from both ends, 1-2 to load/unload the splitter, & the splitter operator.) Or if 2 splitters, 8-9 people. (This will be a time when 16" - 18" bars will work well.)

I have a 75' long pile of logs to process which seems to keep growing. I had considered building a log processor & actually have most of the parts on hand to build one. However, due to the shorter lengths of my logs & the bends/twists, decided on the "log bucking" trailer instead.

I'd like to see that if you have some good pics. Dad and I are debating the merits of different trailers right now (and ways to process more efficiently). I have the knowledge but neither the tools nor the expertise to build something like that. I do however have a good contact who builds damn fine trailers from scratch according to the specs you present, at a much better rate than the box store versions... I have been debating between something akin to what you're talking about and one of the ones like you see on wood lots, where it holds the wood (already bucked) on an angle effectively holding 2 cords in a slanting V arrangement. At least then there's no question about your volume and you simply lift off to split and stack. Both ideas have their merits and draw-backs, as I would assume you'rs would require the use of either a loader or fork to load bigger sticks? If so, that would be a limiting factor for us right now...[/quote]

I have a 70 hp tractor with a loader & grapple to work with.

I will be posting photos later this afternoon.

The main reason for this build is to save my back, allow others to help with minimal effort, & to keep the wood as clean as possible.

I will be bolting the bucking stand to the trailer frame so the trailer can be used by it's self later on down the road if needed. The bucking stand could be used on the ground, but then you would have to pick the rounds back up off the ground which would defeat the main goals.

If I were to run into longer logs, I could also put the stand on my 20' trailer & even use my 24' aluminum walk board. However only the 14' of the bucking stand would have the return ramp for the rounds to land on.

I have a 70 hp tractor with a loader & grapple to work with.

I will be posting photos later this afternoon.

The main reason for this build is to save my back, allow others to help with minimal effort, & to keep the wood as clean as possible.

I will be bolting the bucking stand to the trailer frame so the trailer can be used by it's self later on down the road if needed. The bucking stand could be used on the ground, but then you would have to pick the rounds back up off the ground which would defeat the main goals.

If I were to run into longer logs, I could also put the stand on my 20' trailer & even use my 24' aluminum walk board. However only the 14' of the bucking stand would have the return ramp for the rounds to land on.

That would be nice. Both the trailer AND the loader tractor. Right now I'm working on a friend who has a little tyke sitting in his pasture. I have no idea what brand, but it has a 3cyl Kubota diesel and a loader that's good for 400lbs which would go a long way towards avoiding hernias. I don't remember if it has a PTO or 3-pt, but the only thing I would be interested in them for would be auxiliary carrying of wood on the back and/or a finish mower, ballast and a single blade plow and... Well, I guess I'd want them for all of the reasons that they're handy on ANY tractor... LOL. Eventually I want somewhere between a 50-85hp FEL/tractor, bu/ right now anything would be better than nothing, which is what I possess currently. I know it runs and it'll fit on a 6x12' trailer, which would make it fairly versatile (as opposed to a segmented Versatile 850/875) for a lot of things.

Nice haul Steve!

If you'd like to part with the 540, the 111, or the 2050 give me a shout. I have some extra pocket lint and two tic-tacs I can part with...

I went for that trade to get the 2050 just special for you. I've got baskets of pocket lint but the tic tacs sound pretty good.

I went for that trade to get the 2050 just special for you. I've got baskets of pocket lint but the tic tacs sound pretty good.

Awesome! I also have three "Pep-O-Mints" still in their original, individual wrappers (mostly).

If you need parts for the the 540 or 111 I've got you covered. I have a 111i with a bad spot in the case and missing a chain brake. Saw starts and runs, has a decent bar and chain, plastics are a little faded. I was going to make a project out of it but by the time I replace the case halves I'll have too much in it. May as well make sure the parts go to someone who can use 'em.

dd

Back