Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick update on "Log Bucking Trailer". Trailer & bucking stand are basically built. Just needs a few final details. The lights are in place & wiring is run but have to wire in the 7 blade receptacles on both ends & add safety chains.

Have to go help my brother on his house this evening but hope to be able to finish up with this project Wednesday & will post photos then.

Then it will be time to give it a try. Will wait on the railing for the walkway until then. Had my brother who is 5'8" hold an 08 & he thought the walkway was too low. I have a 24' x 2' aluminum walk board which is 6" high I can try to see if it would be a better height. Minor details. :rolleyes:

Workshop, any plans for "Charity Cut 4" yet?

Got my wish, sort of.

Been wanting an ice storm to I'd have a good 'nuff excuse to burn in the upstairs fireplace. And, sell some excess old mag.. Came home yesterday evening to a cool and getting colder house. Furnace on the fritz. Made kindling and got him going about nine this a.m.. Furnace man here at 11 and replaced a fuze hiding under a little door.

Sold no old magnesium.................................................................... But, house getting toasty now.

Right now we are out of locations to cut wood from. We have one possibility but the landowner is gone until after February 25, so we won't be able to do any discussions with the landowner or see how the land is laid out until they get back. I'm afraid the logistics for us is going to be too much. But there is a group in that county that wants to start up firewood donations and has asked us for guidance.
If we are able to get a location, we are probably looking at March 29.
I'll keep everyone posted.

Let me know I may have time today to pick it up. If not next week for sure.
Let me know I may have time today to pick it up. If not next week for sure.
I don't have the saw taken apart yet. I ended up having to help my brother in law all weekend so I haven't been home much. I can get it ready to go tonight if you will be around tomorrow. If not I can ship it pretty cheap at work.

Right now we are out of locations to cut wood from. ...

What kind of property are you looking for, and what wood do you cut from the site? Do you try to pick out dead trees only, or do you cut whatever the owner allows?

I have about 2 acres west of Lampe, Mo; I wouldn't care if you clear-cut it. Well...maybe save a couple of oak trees where I camp on it. It's a bit hilly, though.

It is 42 miles from Nixa, and hasn't had any trees cut on it for the 45 years that I can remember.

EDIT: 3.7 acres, as measured on Stone County GIS.

BlackOak.jpg
Access onto my property from the easement is totally obstructed by trees! I'm not sure how that problem would be overcome. :rolleyes:

"Lakefront" property, the fines are extravagant if you cross onto Corps of Engineers property and cut down any trees. Fortunately, I had a survey done just last year. Decent camping on the NE corner, but no established road there on my property to that corner. Clear-cutting a path would be a welcome change.

Generally speaking, we've always got the leftovers. The only place I've been involved with in 4 years of doing this, that let us cut standing timber, was Charity Cut 1 and a little bit at #3. Everything else has been from bulldozed brush piles or after a TSI or after a logging operation. Cleaning up tree tops. While I like cutting firewood and helping others, I also have a deep respect, and care a lot, about the land. I'm interested in setting up areas for future cuts, too. Shoot me a pm, let's talk about this.

Quick update on "Log Bucking Trailer". Trailer & bucking stand are basically built. Just needs a few final details. The lights are in place & wiring is run but have to wire in the 7 blade receptacles on both ends & add safety chains.

Have to go help my brother on his house this evening but hope to be able to finish up with this project Wednesday & will post photos then.

Then it will be time to give it a try. Will wait on the railing for the walkway until then. Had my brother who is 5'8" hold an 08 & he thought the walkway was too low. I have a 24' x 2' aluminum walk board which is 6" high I can try to see if it would be a better height. Minor details. :rolleyes:

Workshop, any plans for "Charity Cut 5" yet?
#5?? i thought we were at #3 did i miss another one??

What kind of property are you looking for, and what wood do you cut from the site? Do you try to pick out dead trees only, or do you cut whatever the owner allows?

I have about 2 acres west of Lampe, Mo; I wouldn't care if you clear-cut it. Well...maybe save a couple of oak trees where I camp on it. It's a bit hilly, though.

It is 42 miles from Nixa, and hasn't had any trees cut on it for the 45 years that I can remember.

EDIT: 3.7 acres, as measured on Stone County GIS.

View attachment 334175
Access onto my property from the easement is totally obstructed by trees! I'm not sure how that problem would be overcome. :rolleyes:

"Lakefront" property, the fines are extravagant if you cross onto Corps of Engineers property and cut down any trees. Fortunately, I had a survey done just last year. Decent camping on the NE corner, but no established road there on my property to that corner. Clear-cutting a path would be a welcome change.
ready to go to after it for ya :) I just needs a fearless leader

Generally speaking, we've always got the leftovers. ...

Well, this ground is kind of like leftovers. Despite being neglected since they built Table Rock Lake, the trees just are not as big as I would expect. As best I can tell, the land either cannot grow bigger trees, or the Corps of Engineers scraped them all off when they built the lake.

I would guess the canopy tops out at about 40 feet, and isn't terribly dense. There sure are a lot of smaller trees, though. It's like the trees have all been choking each other out for the last 50 years. There is a nice army of 9"-12" trunks though, with a few bigger ones scattered around.

I do remember a few splendid pine trees that would go a bit taller. I think those would have to stay.

Edit: click link to see some pics of the location. https://www.dropbox.com/sh/31z7mj89x4a2lhi/1s7g_97QM5
(it will take several hours for all the pics to upload, they are rather high resolution)
Mostly, if you see a clearing, it is on the wrong side of the property line, posted with orange painted fence posts.

Well, this ground is kind of like leftovers. Despite being neglected since they built Table Rock Lake, the trees just are not as big as I would expect. As best I can tell, the land either cannot grow bigger trees, or the Corps of Engineers scraped them all off when they built the lake.

I would guess the canopy tops out at about 40 feet, and isn't terribly dense. There sure are a lot of smaller trees, though. It's like the trees have all been choking each other out for the last 50 years. There is a nice army of 9"-12" trunks though, with a few bigger ones scattered around.

I do remember a few splendid pine trees that would go a bit taller. I think those would have to stay.

Was it you that had saddles for sale? I'm trying to remember who it was, as I'd like to get the saddle, flipline, spikes and boots to do some climbing just to learn how and do some light trimming. I'm trying to avoid paying the high amounts in baileys but we'll see.

Was it you that had saddles for sale? I'm trying to remember who it was, as I'd like to get the saddle, flipline, spikes and boots to do some climbing just to learn how and do some light trimming. I'm trying to avoid paying the high amounts in baileys but we'll see.

I never advertised them, but I have several sets of climbing gear. I'd be happy to sell my third pair of Gecko's, but those are not cheap, and this pair is pristine. Most of my saddles are for smaller guys. Boots? Heck, any old pair of boots with a heel are fine. Sometimes I just wear my tennis shoes. (only when I forget to bring my boots. :dizzy:)

I went to the Arkansas GTG and I offered to give a tutorial to anybody that was interested. They all must have thought I was going to put them in that leaning walnut I cut down, 'cause nobody acted at all interested in climbing. Maybe that is what you are thinking of?

Cobey, This will be charity cut #4 coming. :rolleyes: My brain & fingers didn't make the proper connection in the earlier post. I corrected it.

Cut #1, You & Hedge cleaned up trailer of logs then we took down some trees. #2 Was at the camp. #3 Was at Bob's & I missed it due to my transmission going out about a 1/3rd the way there. I was bum'd BIG TIME!

Workshop, later this summer after camping season, could we get another batch from the camp?

This spring will be fairly busy. Late Mar or early April Inter Faith cut if Hedge can pull it together. April 26th, Iowa GTG, May 17th in Waukee, IA (maybe) But that doesn't mean I won't find time for charity cut #4. ;) :chainsaw::chop:

I really do have a life, just like helping others.

Back