Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evening gents, neighbor and I cut a dead red elm this afternoon, got enough to stretch out my hedge for a few days. It's been hand to mouth for burnable wood this month. Miserable weather forcast this weekend, it hit 45 today and looking at 18 for tomorrow.

I cut this honey locust the other day, and after making the notch, I leaned against the trunk with my left hand to get a look at the notch, and felt a large thorn snap under my glove. No broken skin, but it sure hurt.
honeylocustdown11.jpg

Thanks to the letrick co. I have 3 0aks 1 elm and 1 hickory to cut no now. 2 were hanging right over out transformer.With the ice coming in I was really worried about them .All were really close to our service line. Hedge Think about 12 ga. for that floor,it will be some higher but a lot stronger.Your floor joists look pretty close so 14 will be fine ,but stronger is always better.Isure wouldn't use expanded metal,hauling wheat the black birds would fallow you to the grain bens.

Well finally had a chance to give the log bucking trailer a shake down run this afternoon.

Pile of Logs on Stand Makes Aroind  this Number of Rounds Underneath.jpg

I started with a pile of logs on the stand about like this. Then when cut it gave me a pile of round like shown underneath the stand. If you notice, there is a gap on the stop board of the round catcher fold down shelf, to roll large round directly onto the log lift. This is just a temporary stop. The permanent stop will be from metal. These boards are to help me decide a height. Don't want it any higher than it has to be to make it easier to grab the rounds. There are enough rounds on each side of the log lift to fill it a couple of times from both sides.

Staged Rounds.jpg
Load the log lift, start splitter then stand on the other side of the splitter & go to town.:chop::chop:

Aerial view of Split from ONe Pile of Logs on Bucking Trailer.jpg

This is what a pile of log on the bucking stand looks like split. I separated the cherry & the hedge from the rest which is mostly oak with some locust & elm.

Use the Jonsered CS-2139T - 12" bar & Husqvarna 338XPT - 14" bar. I could have use the Stihl 08-s with a 17" bar on a few of the logs but was too lazy to go get it. I wanted to stick to the shorter bars for maneuverability & decrease the risk of kick back.

View from Walk Way Side.jpg

Loaded from this side. Had a board across the side to keep from stepping off. I wanted to see if the walkway needed to be higher before building the railing. Under the trailer on the right side you can barely see the removable tongue laying out of the way.

Things I haven't had time to finish:
- The fences for both ends to keep the rounds on the trailer. It will need to be around 24" high to keep the rounds from bouncing over it.
- The metal stop which will go where the single height boards are on both sides of the log lift.
- The round catcher has the outer 3 boards hinged so it can be folded up for transport. When I bolt the metal stop on, it will have legs to give the shelf support.
- Bolt down points between the trailer frame & the bucking stand. Right now it is just sitting on there. I had strapped it in place & took it down the highway to check how it handles & was pleased. No sway at 65 mph.

Thing to add/change:
- I thought the walkway was too low but I wanted to try it at bed height first. Yep, I will be building a couple of storage boxed to go on the walkway around 12 - 14" high to stand on. They will be handy for storing firewood tool on the road.
- I load from the walkway side so I will be adding uprights on the backside of the bucking stand so I will not have to worry about logs falling off.
- Will be cutting off the middle 2 supports of the bucking stand and will add a bridge 4-6" below the angle iron to support them so it will be easier to retrieve the cut rounds.

Overall I am happy with the design. :rock: This afternoon working on my own, loaded, cut, split, & stacked on pallets, 3 piles of log which gave me close to 2 cords of wood. I could have done more but I spent too much time splitting the cherry down to 1.5 - 2" diameter pieces to be used in smokers. :rolleyes:

It was so much easier on my back not having to pick all those round off the ground!!! :bowdown:

Sage, I'm curious, why didn't you shave the thorns off before bucking? o_O
We don't burn thorn trees for firewood down here. People turn up their noses just mentioning it.
This went to the brushpile thorns and all. After it's moved I clean up all the debris so the cows and horses and me won't get any thorns in our feet.

Fair enough.

Locust makes good firewood so I use the topside of my 25" bar & shave the thorns off. This throw the thorns away from me & really doesn't take much more time than cutting the branches off. Then the thorns are raked together, the brush piled up on top, & burned.

Do I have enough other wood available, yes, I just hate to waste.

That's a really nice setup you've got there. But then, from what I've seen at the Charity Cuts, everything you've got is really nice.

Fair enough.

Locust makes good firewood so I use the topside of my 25" bar & shave the thorns off. This throw the thorns away from me & really doesn't take much more time than branches off. Then the thorns are raked together, the brush piled up on top, & burned.

Do I have enough other wood available, yes, I just hate to waste.

Only takes once trimming them with bottom side of bar.

Morning Kenneth and the rest of you good folks, this weather is crazy, 47 yesterday and 21 today. Going to town afterwhile and buy some supplies and then hibernate till mon or tue. They are still predicting 4 to 8 inchs of snow for the weekend.

We don't burn thorn trees for firewood down here. People turn up their noses just mentioning it.
This went to the brushpile thorns and all. After it's moved I clean up all the debris so the cows and horses and me won't get any thorns in our feet.

Save that wood. You can't get much better than Locust. Burns hot and lasts a while. Most of the firewood we cut is locust and hedge. The hedge is what we can't make posts out of and the locust people usually want gone. So nothing is being wasted.

Save that wood. You can't get much better than Locust. Burns hot and lasts a while. Most of the firewood we cut is locust and hedge. The hedge is what we can't make posts out of and the locust people usually want gone. So nothing is being wasted.
Yo; Moody; Dad always had a pile of hedge posts in days gone by. Then came cheap steel posts (not so cheap anymore), which I've accumulated over my lifetime. Now, my sons may see the day they will have to go back to the split cedar, and hedge posts if they can afford to buy the wire to hang on them.
As for the hot burning locust. Yep; I know nothing that burns hotter, but folks here are spoiled with the fragrance of oak and hickory in the air as the chill of winter creeps in.

Latest posts

Back