Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lumberjackchef was "THE MAN" running a chainsaw! Like the EverReady Bunny, he just kept cutting & cutting & cutting ... . By the end of the day, you just knew he would be feeling it.

Hedgerow & Work Saw Collector also ran saws but had to spend most of their time on a splitter. There was no way 2 splitters could keep up. Me, I just stayed out of the way.

A few shots of trailer in transport mode towed behind the splitter.

IMG_0058.JPG

IMG_0059.JPG

A clear shot of the catch tray.

IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG

Opening for log lift.

These shot were taken this morning after it maiden voyage. In the last photo if you look at the top of the expanded metal under the first log stand support, you can see where it is bent down a little, the worst damage to the expanded metal. I am pleased with how it is holding up. There were some good sized logs cut on it. For tops like down in Mansfield it will work great.

The last couple of logs were cut on the ground. The splitter operator said he didn't think he could have got the one up there if he tried. It probably took the 2 splitters a half an hour just on the last 2 logs.

Here's an example one of the bigger logs
vavadege.jpg

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Opening for log lift.
These shot were taken this morning after it maiden voyage. In the last photo if you look at the top of the expanded metal under the first log stand support, you can see where it is bent down a little, the worst damage to the expanded metal. I am pleased with how it is holding up. There were some good sized logs cut on it. For tops like down in Mansfield it will work great.
The last couple of logs were cut on the ground. The splitter operator said he didn't think he could have got the one up there if he tried. It probably took the 2 splitters a half an hour just on the last 2 logs.

OK I think I need to build a setup like this but not as big. This will be my spring break project to make a materials list. I think I will make one to set on a trailer. I have enough trailers (6). Plus not as tall. I love that the cut pieces flow to the splitter. with My current setup I start tripping over the cut pieces.

Yeah this setup worked out well most of the time one saw operator could supply up to 3 splitters and no tripping over or bending to lift. It was a smooth transition from drop to load most of the time. We had a long pickaroon to reach and pull as it was piling up. It takes quite a few bodies to get rolling but it goes pretty dang fast. We counted 8 processors at one point and we were only running with two splitters.

Sam, the center log stand is independent of the trailer frame. I have pieces of angle iron welded on the corners to bolt it down with. It can be placed on another trailer easily. The only thing you would have to do with another trailer would be to have a catch tray to the side of the trailer which you could have connected via stake pockets. Then have a 14-16" high platform for the saw operator to stand on. Like you I have several trailers but for now, I wanted a single axle trailer to use to decrease rolling resistance. I left out the boards which would have been under the stand to allow the saw chips to fall through. In less than 15 minutes I can have the stand off & boards fastened in place.

Also I can call this a piece of equipment & since I am not using it to haul a load, will not have to license it for use in Missouri. When I first started using my splitter to pull trailers, I contacted the Highway Patrol to see if it needed licensed. They said as long I was not putting a load on it like a trailer would carry, it was considered a piece of equipment & did not have to be licensed. As long as the overall length of of the splitter & trailer(s) did not exceed 54' I could have more than one trailer behind the splitter provided the trailers were properly licensed & I was not exceeding the weight capacity of the pulling vehicle.

When you say not as high? The height to the top of the log stops is just over 9'. I could cut them down some but I would rather have the height for the safety of the splitting crews. My shop doors are 12' & 13' high so it is not a concern for me.

There is 17" between where the log rests & the ramped surface to allow the cut rounds to fall free & move out of the way. In theory you can cut a 32" log on it but I don't plan to use it for logs any larger than 24-26" dia. If log was bigger, the rounds would really be hard on the expanded metal. The cut we did yesterday tested it as far as I wanted. We had a couple of log too big to go on it. I guess i could have lowered the log rests 5" So if If took 13" off the log stops & 5" off the log rest height I could drop the overall height down to around 7.5'

This will give us something to discuss in three weeks. I am looking forward to getting meeting you & having your feed-back at the April 4th/5th cut.

Morning gents, shaping up to be a nice day here in NW Mo. , sunshine and 58 degrees. Helped the neighbor take down a big old hackberry yesterday afternoon that had already dropped one big limb on his chicken house. Everything went fine untill I went to work on the stump, about half way through, yep fence wire, not a sign of wire on the outside. This was a almost new 36" chain, not so new now, oh well stuff happens. There is even a bigger one that needs to come down and is probally the same way.

Mornin fellas...
Spent the last half day in the shop yesterday...
Serviced and sharpened every user saw in the shop.. Spent some quality time with the chain on the 562... Took a lot off... It's at that "Yee haw" stage right now where there's only bout a third of the tooth left...

Mornin fellas...
Spent the last half day in the shop yesterday...
Serviced and sharpened every user saw in the shop.. Spent some quality time with the chain on the 562... Took a lot off... It's at that "Yee haw" stage right now where there's only bout a third of the tooth left...
I did too, the 361 was bad I stuck it in the rocks the other day the 066 wasn't bad no one hit anything with it.

My saw didn't get enough use to need the chain sharpened. I think it was intimidated by the big boys.

I used it on a couple of cuts and that little thing has some cojones! Made me wanna tear apart my 33 and fix the tank gasket last night. I ported the muffler too.
e7yby2y5.jpg
I also realized while had the muffler of of this little husq that it a piston ported, closed quad cylinder! I didn't realize they made one so small. Its only 36 mm bore. Think gonna have to port it now!

Morning gents, shaping up to be a nice day here in NW Mo. , sunshine and 58 degrees. Helped the neighbor take down a big old hackberry yesterday afternoon that had already dropped one big limb on his chicken house. Everything went fine untill I went to work on the stump, about half way through, yep fence wire, not a sign of wire on the outside. This was a almost new 36" chain, not so new now, oh well stuff happens. There is even a bigger one that needs to come down and is probally the same way.

If you want we can grind off the nasty teeth with my H.F. grinder. At least get him down where filing will be effective.

An editorial in the St. Joe News-Press this morning about the EPA and wood stove regulation. It's a good read if you can log in to the website.

Mo. legislature has a bill proposed to negate the EPA's meddelin'.

Back