Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sawnami

sawnami

Addicted to ArboristSite
Back in the 'olden days' if you wanted a fast car but not loud you could use the huge mufflers for a Chrysler Imperial (think 392 hemi). Low restriction but lots less noise than glasspacks.

I remember when Corvair Corsa turbo mufflers were "the thing"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
Loaded up and ready for the Mid Iowa Antique Aower Assn. annual show.
e3ematyz.jpg
good morning all!

workshop

workshop

Addicted to ArboristSite
Not sure just yet, but we might have a place to cut. The hard part is, he wants it gone fast. I've got to go check it out sometime this week. Plan "A" is to get the logs out of there and to the recycle center for a charity cut in September. Plan "B" is to get anybody that can come, on short notice, and have a cut on august 23rd on site. I'll let everybody know this coming week when I find out the details.
Thanks guys
Steve

teacherman

teacherman

Aging out of the insanity...
AS Supporting Member
Howdy guys. FInally getting my coffee. Gluing together a ripped 1x4 and a 1x6 to make a treated 1x8 for a project. I used my Subaru to carry three sheets of plywood back from Topeka. The straps didn't even whistle that much on the highway. Used the Outback to move my stepdaughter with a U=Haul trailer, man those things are heavy. However, even with 170K on it, the old Outback easily showed it deserves its 2000 lb. trailer pull rating. Had to go to topeka to pick up and return the trailer, so I got in a bit of road time, listening to my Chris Knight CDs.

Then I got an HF little wood mover's dolly, took off the wheels, and attached them under the Shop Smith accessory holder. The dolly was rated at 1000 lbs., and the cast iron jointer only weighs 950 lbs., so the setup should be OK. It was frustrating when the first wheels I put under there actually folded over off the axle when I moved the darn thing. Anyone else have a Shop Smith? They are really interesting machines. I like the horizontal boring machine, and I look forward to doing some lathe turning.

Last night I fed Emerson with him sitting on the table saw. He helps me with my projects, and he seems to enjoy hanging out in the shop with his old man.

I'm stihl trying to get over my tennis elbow from digging out those footings with my bare hands through all those darn roots. I tend to push myself waaaay past the point of exhaustion, esp. when it's hot out. I forget to eat, and sometimes I get a bit dried out. But hey, I figure at my age, if I don't push it hard, I might as well sit on the sofa, pick up the remote, and wait for the hospice people to arrive. I wonder if Nancy would be assigned to me, as she is a hospice visiting nurse. That would suck for her, so I'm gonna keep pushing hard and pretending I'm still a 25 year old wildman. I gotta be around when this boy grows up.

Everybody have a great day!

photo-13.JPG

67L36Driver
e9azu7ep.jpg
potatoes anyone.

Neighbor in south ST. Louis county had a potato lister just like that. My dad welded up a draw bar for him so he could pull it with his John Deere.

St. Louis county was all truck farms before it became suberbs.

Countless summer mornings at dawn's early light I was awakened by that John Deere 'chuck-chuck-chuck' coming thru the open window (no air conditioning). It was either Bill with his tractor or that rooster quail on the ceder fence along the pasture.

67L36Driver
Now you got me started!

Bill's other tracktor had about 3/4 turn of backlash at the wheel. Tricycle front. Made for interesting changes of direction when you ran thru a furrow or hit a dirt clod.

"Bill why don't you fix the steering?" answer: "It isn't broken yet"

About the time I started at Rolla, Bill started hangin' with Dad and Mom more. They were about the same generation/age wise. Bill was a bachlor and lived by himself. My folks brought him to St. Joseph for my wedding. First time Bill got dressed up ever.

Homelite410

Homelite410

Hack with a CNC Mill
So on the way home today from the engine show in Marshalltown, along the side of hwy 30 sets a 30' fifth wheel camper (one of them real tall ones the kind you'd see hooked to a single axle semi) hooked to a half ton newer Dodge ram. Underneath it sat the driveshaft on the highway still attached to the transfer case............ Why do these people hook these HUGE campers to trucks that are under powered, under geared, and made to look good in the driveway of a home in the city!! My other question is why do the camper dealers let these people with under rated trucks take these huge campers home.

Oliver1655

Oliver1655

Addicted to ArboristSite
The camper dealers can make recommendations but if the customer chooses to ignore them, can you really blame the salesman for not selling it anyway? Commission is the name of the game.;)

How many of us have attempted to help someone make an informed decision & have them ignore you. o_Oo_O

Then again how many of us have been given totally bad advise.:eek:

Latest posts