Oklahoma,AR,MO,KS,TX GTG (Next GTG 08/27/2016 ) Fort Scott, KS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally home. Had a great day with my Granddad. Played a little bingo, won $30, lot's of catching up. He's a WWII vet who fought in the Battle of the Bulge. If you have one of these cat's in your life, talk to them, and get their stories while they can still tell them.......they're fascinating! Went to breakfast this morning, and I ordered corned beef hash and eggs. Gramps turned up his nose, and told me the story about being in the war, and every morning the food wagon would drive by and toss cans of cold corned beef hash for breakfast. His words..."you'd have to peel back the layer of lard to get to the hash". To this day, he won't eat it. Also told me that it took him almost ten years before he could eat eggs without tossing them back up, due to the constant powdered eggs served everyday while fighting.

We talked about the different wars in our time, and how the older guys came home and kept on with life, and how today's folks seem to be infected with PTSD, and our thoughts on why.

There's a reason why they're The Greatest Generation. Thankful that he's still around to teach me the important stuff in life.

Hope everyone is staying warm!

Bunny deposition?

Found a home for the bunny. I went to Petco to possibly find a bunny rescue. A lady over heard me talking to the Petco employee and came up to me. She said she would take it. Her friend raises a bunch of rabbits. They run free on his property but never leave. He also raises sheep and chickens. He has a couple of Pyrenees/mix dogs that protect the sheep and all the animals. He said the bunny was a "Lionhead".

Finally home. Had a great day with my Granddad. Played a little bingo, won $30, lot's of catching up. He's a WWII vet who fought in the Battle of the Bulge. If you have one of these cat's in your life, talk to them, and get their stories while they can still tell them.......they're fascinating! Went to breakfast this morning, and I ordered corned beef hash and eggs. Gramps turned up his nose, and told me the story about being in the war, and every morning the food wagon would drive by and toss cans of cold corned beef hash for breakfast. His words..."you'd have to peel back the layer of lard to get to the hash". To this day, he won't eat it. Also told me that it took him almost ten years before he could eat eggs without tossing them back up, due to the constant powdered eggs served everyday while fighting.

We talked about the different wars in our time, and how the older guys came home and kept on with life, and how today's folks seem to be infected with PTSD, and our thoughts on why.

There's a reason why they're The Greatest Generation. Thankful that he's still around to teach me the important stuff in life.

Hope everyone is staying warm!

That is awesome stuff. My Grandpa was a WWII vet also. Unlike you, I never took the time pry for info and to hear his stories. I was too busy being a knucklehead. By the time I straightened out and was interested it was too late. Thanks for sharing.

Mornin all...
Gonna go cut some wood and a Christmas tree.

Funny story bout WWII..
My grandpa went down to enlist, and they wouldn't let him in..
Feet too big and weighed too much..
I guess back then, 6'3" and 340 lbs was over the limit. Lol...
So he moved to AnnArbor MI and built bombers..
Lots of bombers I guess...

I was fortunate to spend time with two WWII vets. My ex-father-in-law was a railroad engineer before enlisting and his skills were utilized during the D Day invasion to run captured trains to advance deeper into France. I'll never forget quail hunting with him when some idiot began firing a high powered rifle at us at a long distance for some reason. You could hear the rounds whizzing by hitting the grass. Instead of going for cover, he headed toward the shooter at a dead run firing and reloading his shotgun as he went. Needless to say the guy jumped in his pickup and raced out of there.
I noticed a military rifle with an ornately carved stock with what looked like oriental writing on it at my uncle's house and he told me the story about it. When we occupied Tokyo, he was in a detail that was responsible for collecting enemy weapons, putting them on a barge and dumping them in Tokyo Bay. His story was interesting on how he made back to the states with it.
He was on the USS South Dakota. That ship and crew took a beating during several battles.

Good morning from Kansas! I'm a newbie so please go easy on me

Welcome to the circus.

What saws do you run? How many do you have? What kinda splitter or maul? You run square or round chain? Any kids and what ages? What kinda truck you drive? Any heavy equipment?

My name is Thomas. I have Mostly Stihl but like all saws, unlike some on here, won't mention any names. I have about 7-8 saws. I have a hydro splitter with log lift and 4-way wedge, a Fiskars (of course) and a few other splitting implements. I use round full chisel chain because I can't file square. 3 kids (8, 11, & 18). 2012 Chevy 2500. No heavy equipment, just a 16' utility trailer and a couple wheel barrels for selling firewood on the side.

We go easy on you here. DO NOT start any threads or make any comments in the Forestry & Logging forum.

Latest posts

Back