Old Beard-Poulan, Old Sears Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zinnia

Reaction score
I am trying to help a friend figure out the value of his old chainsaws. One is a Beard-Poulan which is older than regular Poulan and the other is an old Sears, made in Canada by Simpson & Sears Ltd.

Anyone got any ideas of the value of old chainsaws? Which ones qualify as "antique" etc? I will be posting pix online this afternoon. The Beard-Poulan is model #s31 and the Sears is a "758G"

Oh.. I see I can attach a jpg here, so that is what I will do. It shows 2 guys each holding one of the chainsaws.

I hate to be the bearer of bad tiddings but those old saws aren't worth too much.I've seen similar,on e-bay for less than$50,and local auctions for less than $10.I am not in any way trying to insult the saws or the owner,this is just my observation of the relative value,based on past sales.Of course the value is that which someone else is willing to pay for the item.

Not a problem, Al, thank you. I was just surfing saws in eBay and noticing that, also noticing that if my friend wants to sell at top price he will have to shine these up... old tools are not the same as old furniture, where the dealers advise leaving the blemishes on...

Am I right on this? Genuine question.

My dad used to collect old hand tools, but this subject of old power tools is new to me.

With regards to older saws and value,some are more desirable than others.Generally speaking,the larger,direct drive saws,of the '70's and '80's are those that people seem to want.McCulloch sp125,sp 105,sp 81,Homelite 650,750 ,1050, 2100,Stihl 070,076 090 ,are a few of the older saws that have retained somewhat of a higher value among those of us that collect the things.This is not to say that people don't have interest in others,but it's not as avid.It's kind of like comparing the value of an old John Deere with that of an Oliver.More folks are interested in the Johnney popper. :)

The old Sears is a david bradley, the Poulan, is an OLD direct drive model, not sure which one, but I know its one of them. not worth a lot, unless in absolutely new in the box never had gas in them condition.

Hi. Sorry to say, but you have been told about the value of these old saws is true.
The Poulan is one of 4 very similar models...it's either a model 31, super 31, 33, or super 33. All of these models were heavy, weak, and slow, and I've never seen one that would idle properly.
Dave

Back