old computer may go

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How old is that computer? Got mine in August 96. Pentium 200, 32 MB of RAM, 2.5 GB hard drive space-- top-of-the-line seven years ago. Like my old saws, it's obsolete but still truckin'.

Chris B.

Here's a few of mine. Nothing crazy.:D
5649.jpg

compaque gateway 2000. by the way its been checked for the worms :D . none here so i think its just acting like what it is . a cheap puter. gave me a lotto service tho in the 3 yrs. we [my daughter ] have a new one on line with aol. it seems alrite but ,dont know about the aol. seldom use it now.
mark ,that looks like norad or whatever the boy called it in war games[movie]:)

Wow pretty elaborate Marky; especially the high tech cooling!

i just got a 21"monitor for $100 at travelling computer show; love it! Got a finger mouse too and now can lean back, see plenty, and operate mouse on finger scan net etc. Give back a break too!

Computers are getting so cheap and powerful, it reaaly doesn't pay to upgrade much! A screen is a main interface to computer, and bigger is really better; wellll; ummmmmm wait.....here; bigger is better!

:D

Web server? Some kind of cluster setup?

I'm actually teetering at the 80 mark right now. Mostly either valuable vintage collectibles or 2-4 year-old low-end inventory.

Those clusters are the data to Citrix servers, several customers own the data base servers. There over the road truckers,dock workers, and merchant marines, dial into the the Citrix boxes and then get there work orders.

These are all controlled via a 15 monitor, If you are going to spend tons of time at the pc get the flat screen, easy on the eyes.That cooling system has worked for about 3 months now,just to lazy to replace the cpu fan.

What ever cisco can do you can create with a Squid server, not to mention you can intercept there data just make sure it's good ****.

Be smart use anti virus, and keep it updated. Right John

It's good, but not good enough; at least not for long.  Current best bet is to run Linux and not as root.  That and a little bit of savvy is all the antivirus I use. Those antivirus/firewall programs for Windows are better than the nothing Microsoft provides but they don't relieve the user from due vigilance.  Don't ever forget that unless the AV companies are the ones creating the viruses they are always playing catch-up.  Some people say that when Linux gets to be used more by Joe Mainstream then viruses will plague it, but I think that's based on the false assumption that virus-writers target the largest audience, whoever it may be.  I suggest the real target is the system with the most vulnerabilities.  Picture a lioness chasing a herd of water buffalo trying to nab the weak straggler, and the weak straggler is actually about 70% of the herd.  That's what we've got going on at the present time.  Easy pickin's.

If you've got any stock in Microsoft you should get rid of it while it's still got any value.  They're going to be just another page in the history of the world before too much longer.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/56/32425.html

Glen

Glen,
You have to read everything on the internet.

’’ Moreover, the monitoring system, called a Safety Parameter Display System, had a redundant analog backup that was unaffected by the worm.”

The system didn’t fail it seems to have worked due to the analog backup. There are holes in every operating system. Even Linux. It is just that the world is comfortable with windows and it’s not going anywhere. Linux is a back operating system, you have to be a hackesor to use it.

As far as anti virus I feel Norton is the best right now. If you keep up with your updates and get a web based email account like yahoo or hotmail you won’t have as many problem. Also update your operating system. And you’ll be clean ask Doug Babcock or John Lambert after there infections I am sure they keep on top of that more than anything. A virus isn’t so bad it lets the world know there’s holes in everthing.

Even the linux kernel is updated every thurs night.
Now I am headed to Spain to the World Pigeon shoot sat, hopefully I can win enough for a new computer.

Also just to prove a point I am buying 100 shares of Microsoft right now. You should also buy some it seems to me it has even climbed since the out break of the SOBIG and the Slammer

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=MSFT&d=c&k=c1&a=v&p=s&t=5d&l=on&z=m&q=l

hey can someone mount a digital tach, and engine temp gauge, and a GPS system to my chainsaw? Oh by the way, it has to be based on a windows system, just so glens has something to say about it.

norton anti virus. Is a virus. I've gotten paid , repeatedly, top dollar, to remove it. I hate it, I hate the company that fraudulently sells it, I hate the advertisers that take their money, I hate the 500 registry keys 'systemworks' installs, I hate the performance hit you have to tolerate, the low reliability, the 3$ a minute tech support, the 20% profit they ADMITTED to last year, the air they breath and the ground they walk on, and they momma is fat.
Hate. Norton.
but that's just an opinion.

Systemworks has a whole is a load, but NAV 2003 is probably my favorite antivirus program. Just keep the Office plugin turned off and you're all set.

Posting your email address on a public forum is a GREAT way to get a lot of spam! There are programs (called spambots) that search for addresses on web pages and add them to a spammer's list, which gets sold and sold and sold again to other spammers.

Never do that unless you really like spam! If you MUST post your address, "munge" it. That is, post it in a way that defeats the spambots but lets human readers figure it out. Something like:

marks0123 AT AOL Dot Com

or

marks0123 NOSPAM at aol DOTcom

But why on earth would you want to use AOL? :confused: Kiddie city!

Power to the penguin

Linux is the way to go. Even this Macintosh is working well. Jeez, I just realized that I am typing on a Mac after cutting wood with a Stihl :blob2:
I gave up on Windows after Win98.

You don't have to be a hacker to run Linux, but it is lots more secure.

-Pat

Windows 2000's pretty good. Reliable, no fluff. I'm not much of an XP guy.

I've got 40 Macs (of the computer kind) and counting.

Latest posts

Back