Old Craftsman Chainsaw Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brims

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am new to everything chainsaw so please forgive any blunders I make.

I have an old Craftsman 358.352010 that I inherited and plan to use to cut a couple of small trees up. I got 3/4 of the way through a decent sized branch and then the saw died and wouldn't restart. In attempting to start the saw in order to adjust the carb I busted the pull start cord. That was replaced but not before knocking the spring free. I managed to get the spring wound back up and installed with the help of a zip tie and a board with a nail in it.

After finally getting the saw running properly, no more cloud of smoke from running too rich, doesn't die after bringing back to idle, etc I looked closely at the bar and saw the tip is worn heavily.

In my searching this forum I've seen mention of replacing with 3/8" pitch chain due to availability. This thread from 12 years ago mentions an Oregon sprocket and 14" bar and chain. It seems that specific bar, or model number, might not exist anymore. Based on the part numbers listed (ORDG 14 EP50 01 14") I'm guessing it's a .050" gauge bar and chain. Would the Oregon AdvanceCut 3/8" Low Profile .050" 14" bar and chain work along with the 28006 3/8" spur sprocket?

I don't know why I was assuming it was the S25 model, you are correct it looks more like the 2000. I should have searched for a picture of the chainsaw I suspected it was. I appreciate the pictures from those manuals and the correction to my assumed model.

I'll take a measurement and verify which sprocket I need, although based on those books I'd bet you're correct.

According to the Oregon parts search, the bars would be the same for both, with the 2000 I can get a range of bar lengths. Is there any reason not to go to a 14" bar or is there a reason to stay with a 10"? It looks like I can also get a 16" or 18" bar, I'm wondering if the little engine is strong enough to run that much chain. The one tree I've been cutting limbs off of have only had limbs around the 4" to 8" diameter ranges. I have been using a receiprocating saw with a low TPI blade which works but wreaks havoc on my wrist. I may have some larger limbs I can get to, but they may be too high for me to do myself.

I pulled the clutch off and measured the shaft at 0.405" so I definitely need the 28004 sprocket. Thank you HarleyT for the manual pages, I would have been barking up the wrong tree without that information.

It looks like the Poulan 2000 came with up to a 16" bar whereas the Craftsman only came with up to a 14" bar. Is there a reason not to go with a 16" bar?

Thank you. I've placed an order for the 28004 sprocket as mine is a worn, the 91PX056G 16" AdvanceCut chain, and the 160SXEA041 16" AdvanceCut bar. This chain profile looks the closest to original, to my untrained eyes.

Had I not thought I had the 1/4" chain, I may not have removed the sprocket and seen the heavy wear on it. Hopefully this weekend I'll have this saw cutting some tree limbs without rattling my teeth out of my head like with the Sawzall.

Back