Old Echo experts chime in

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How do you isolate one or the other for being at fault?

I looked and I dont have a 400 service manual but in some of the other models that appear about the same they give some ohm readings to test the coil.

It says if the coil test ok then to replace the CDI module to see if you then get spark.

Lots of help aint it?

I know on the 650evl if the module is bad you get no spark at all

You and I will be talking soon. The iginition will cross between the two?
I'm pretty sure these two are completely different ignition systems and will not interchange. Mark is right on the VL and EVL models as the VL's has a points type ignition system and the EVL's series are electronic. Some incorporate a coil and some CDI module and a coil together.

I don't know. Gotta look through the IPL's to find out. Just got home from my folks place. I know I have the 451VL IPL. Think I have the 400EVL IPL. I'm sure Bob has both IPL's......................and knows the answer without looking at them...:clap:

Can't find the 400EVL IPL. I think we're going to have to wait for Bob's Echo wisdom...
I might have the service manual. I picked up all of my dads old service manuals from my cousin some 30 years old...Bob

What do ya know i have a service manual in my cars Trunk. First check the coil wire to the cap spring to make sure the wire didn't come off.

I bought a saw a while back where the screw came out of the spark plug wire and was just loose in there.

Now comes the tough part because the manual says swap the TCI Module with a known working one which you only have one of. If it has spark the TCI is bad. Now you can buy a replacement universal TCI box that will work providing the coil works.

If spark can not be seen even with the known working TCI Module replace the ing coil with a known working one. If it has spark the coil is bad. Or you can measure the Ohms of the coil...Bob

Thanks for the info Bob. Rep sent.

I do not have the saw yet but I have found a running echo 500 evl for $75 with 16" bar. Will parts from its ignition interchange witht he 400?

Reason I ask is I could get the 500 and use it to test against to parts on the 400. Thanks

Thanks for the info Bob. Rep sent.

I do not have the saw yet but I have found a running echo 500 evl for $75 with 16" bar. Will parts from its ignition interchange witht he 400?

Reason I ask is I could get the 500 and use it to test against to parts on the 400. Thanks

Oh sure I said the same thing but you rep Bob! :hmm3grin2orange:

No problem just kidding, Bob is a great guy and deserves more then he gets.

To you question, yes the 400EVL and 500EVL share the same ign componets, by the IPL's anyway.

Oh sure I said the same thing but you rep Bob! :hmm3grin2orange:

No problem just kidding, Bob is a great guy and deserves more then he gets.

To you question, yes the 400EVL and 500EVL share the same ign componets, by the IPL's anyway.

Rep sent Mark, I feel so ashamed for overlooking what you said.

That is good to know that the two share parts ignition wise:clap:

A little tip as far as I know a Echo that says VL (vibe less) is a point ign.

EVL stands for electronic vibe less.

Thanks Mark. I'd forgotten the 'E' thing...

I wonder if it can be reto fitted back to points then? Seem like a step backwards though.

BOB page for BOB:D

That's a common swap for certain old Stihls (such as the 031AV) due to problems with the electronic ignitions of those 'E' models. Too bad my ignition won't work in your saw. At least you found the 500EVL.

I'm pretty sure these two are completely different ignition systems and will not interchange. Mark is right on the VL and EVL models as the VL's has a points type ignition system and the EVL's series are electronic. Some incorporate a coil and some CDI module and a coil together.

Dangit. Too bad he can't swap my points ignition system to his saw. I still can't get rid of this parts 451VL. I just can't bring myself to scrap it since the P/C and so many other parts are good. Anybody here want it for the cost of shipping? If not, I'll probably end up parting it out for feebay sometime down the road. For now, it doesn't take up too much room on the shelf...

I emailed my uncle back to verify for sure it is an EVL. If it is then I might go after the 500 for parts, but need to pay less than $75 for sure.

Thanks Mark. I'd forgotten the 'E' thing...

Dangit. Too bad he can't swap my points ignition system to his saw. I still can't get rid of this parts 451VL. I just can't bring myself to scrap it since the P/C and so many other parts are good. Anybody here want it for the cost of shipping?

SURE. I don't have one of those and the CS-451 was the model Echo used for all of the old lit pics and signs...Bob

SURE. I don't have one of those and the CS-451 was the model Echo used for all of the old lit pics and signs...Bob

Hiya Bob. I like the sign. I didn't know this earlier (didn't notice the notification at the top of the page, and my email notifications aren't working again).........but before I even typed my last post, Scott (Sefh3) sent me PM asking me about parts from the saw. I PM'd him back with the offer to send him the whole parts saw.

If he doesn't want the whole thing, then I'll send it to you. He's mostly looking for an air filter and cover for his CS452. I don't know if my 451 parts would work for him (or if they're different than what he needs). Either way, he get's first crack at the parts saw. You're next in line Bob...:cheers:

CDI coil

I would not go by the book as to a good coil bad coil. At least that is what i have figured out on 750evl ignition systems. It ohm`s was right on with the book on primary and secondary and it blew out 3 of my rebuilt cdi`s till i tried a different coil with the same ohm`s and it is OK now with the 4 th rebuilt cdi. I have not worked on a 500evl to know how close they are alike but that is the way the 750evl was.

Dave

Does anyone know what models ,if any, echos gas caps will interchange with a cs 451 vl? i am finding other gas caps for other models and just curious if any other models will work, mine is cracked and leaks.Thanks.

Over a year later and I know have this 400evl on my bench. Saw runs but once it gets up to operating temp it shuts down and loses spark.

Any one have an extra ignition box? I am guessing from what others have said that is the best place to start. Saw is in great shape otherwise. Fantastic compression.

This was my uncles saws which his dad bought new.

I would not go by the book as to a good coil bad coil. At least that is what i have figured out on 750evl ignition systems. It ohm`s was right on with the book on primary and secondary and it blew out 3 of my rebuilt cdi`s till i tried a different coil with the same ohm`s and it is OK now with the 4 th rebuilt cdi. I have not worked on a 500evl to know how close they are alike but that is the way the 750evl was.

Dave

i know this is old but i'd sure like to see a tutorial on rebuilding cdi's

I would like to know if it can be modified as well:confused:
Has anyone some how taken one of these part to figure what goes wrong.

On the run CAD victim with a phone smarter than me

I would like to know if it can be modified as well:confused:
Has anyone some how taken one of these part to figure what goes wrong.

On the run CAD victim with a phone smarter than me

Post up a pic of said modal. Do a net search on CDI Capacitor Discharge Ignition Circuit

Latest posts

Back