old iron.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One I forgot, and that should not be, A D7, if you can see it.

attachment.php

The camouflage is a little tainted with the motor transplant.

As a former scraper jockey, I have a knowledge of such things. Cats were the most comfortable, period. Still are today. Terex scrapers were designed by Nazi scientists obsessed with the discomfort of operators. Any wheeled ride would be more comfortable than the bench seated cat, save maybe a bobcat. Trust me on that, the former employer had a push cat, D9, with a bumper in the front that would pivot a little, no blade at all, and whatever cushion on the seat you brought from home. The other one had a better seat and a roll bar, with a springy half blade. The "push pig" as we called it was push started more than once.
Loud? Yeah, and you are very gracious in calling those mufflers. But no where near as loud as the starting motor on the D8.

I'd have to agree with everything you said....................except for the last bit about noise. I've heard several Cat pony motors, including one on a D8. That un-muffled TD18A I heard (owned by the same guy who owns most of the pony motor'd Cats I've heard) was an order of magnitude above any pony motor I've ever heard. Those pony's do have an ugly rasp to them though...

I know the TD24's had twin stacks. Don't recall on the 18's. I cat logged with an old johnson bar TD20, and we loaded with a Drott TD20 that we took the clamshell off and put log forks on it. I don't know if it was the design of Drott, but it was a noisey SOB. I never wore ear protection, but I did when I ran it.

TD18's have twin stacks for sure. I've seen a few. TD14's have singles. Basically the same engine (same bore/stroke, pistons, rods, valve gear, etc), but with two less jugs. The TD14's were a bit down on power. The TD14A's were improved. The TD18's had a rep for being overpowered for the drivetrain when abused. Same with the TD24 and TD25. There was a later turbocharged version of the TD18A (with about 30 more HP). Can't remember the model #. It's in the newer three digit (all numbers........no letters) model # series...

One I forgot, and that should not be, A D7, if you can see it.

The camouflage is a little tainted with the motor transplant.

Sweet. I love seeing the ex-military crawlers. My buddy has an ex-USMC IHC TD9.

A couple of home made self propelled log arches. Both are powered by Chevy OHV sixes and were built by the father of a buddy when he had a sawmill.

Logcarts003.jpg

Logcarts004.jpg

Logcarts002.jpg

A more conventional one.

Logcarts006.jpg

Logcarts009.jpg

Preety cool, Guido. Could those be aircraft tires on the log arch behind that red thing?

Ill donate this old Timberjack in about 40 years if you guys are still going. I said Id never sell it,but I cant take it with me when I die. It would be nice to see it go to a good home,in the end.:heart: Ive had this about 8 years now,and Ive found the orignal books and the orignal add from when it was new. This is the second year timberland ellicott made the timberjack arcticulating skidder.

Ill donate this old Timberjack in about 40 years if you guys are still going. I said Id never sell it,but I cant take it with me when I die. It would be nice to see it go to a good home,in the end.:heart: Ive had this about 8 years now,and Ive found the orignal books and the orignal add from when it was new. This is the second year timberland ellicott made the timberjack arcticulating skidder.

Thats a sweet lookin old timberjack.

Might as well put this here.

View attachment 237144

Picked it up in the middle of my strip, about 1000' deep. Can only figure that the guy that cut it the first pass through lost it.

-Enjoy the rest of the weekend, Sam

One of the guys in my wedding had a Timberjack 230 that his father bought new in 1962. About 15-20 years ago Timberjack was looking for the oldest skidder still in use and I tried to get him to register it with them. He got out of the timber business in 1974 but kept the skidder to pull a few tress, push stumps and to pack his silage pit once a year.

He has since sold it and the only pictures I have are on film.

Some old skidders I came across today

Stoped in to check out these old skidders on the way back from the logging expo in vt, Gonna try to buy the beat to **** timberjack, It looks sad and I wanna save it.

Back