Old iron..?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am looking at a similar situation with getting me a 1/2 ton truck to run around town in. I have a 1949 Ford F1. I’m fixing it up, so I may just use it for my occasional needs. I am in Mississippi and I have seen a lot of good looking 90s ford F250s and F350s around for pretty decent prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would say you are in a good spot for an older vehicle. Every time I head down that way I notice how much better the trucks look compared to up here.

My newest vehicle is a 2006. My 3 trucks are 1985, 1990, and 2000. I also just sold a 1977 with the only rust on the exhaust. And yes we do get snow around here, but they rarely salt more than the interstate. We also don't have inspections either. Thus I never buy new vehicles, and most the time I buy old and cheap and make repairs to put it back on the road. I don't understand why so many people are afraid of driving 10 year old cars. I do understand the rust issue up north, but I don't understand why people won't take better care of such an expensive vehicle.

You can wash a truck every week, heck, every couple of days up here in the winter and it will still rust. The salt and chemical that they put on the roads gets in every little crevice possible and the wash just doesnt get it out.

I sometimes look at the Erie PA craigslist and those vehicles seem to be a lot cleaner than the ones here in NY. Erie PA is about 2 hours from me so it would be worth it if I found something good.

I see them salt the snow on the roads a lot of times instead of plowing. The roads are solid white all winter from the salt.

My option and mine alone is they do not build pick up trucks any longer. as far back as 1988 GM didn't put floor supports in the bed. dads looked like a rough sea after a season of hauling fire wood.

Today all a pick up is a gloryfied grocery cart for boobed bimbos. You almost have to special order one if you want a 8 foot box, if you want a stick trans also special order. And don't get me started on the price of the things.

As for the salt and washing it every other day, they don't last because the car washes only wash the top side. When have you ever seen a car/truck wash with a really good under body pressure wash?
One here in town charges More if you want the under carrage wash. I now ask for a recite when I run my truck thru there because I live on a lime stone road and they started refuseing to run my truck thru a second and third time when the wheel wells still had lime stone mud in them.

If I pay more for under carrage wash I want the under carrage washed.

A nice curved wand for your pressure washer does a decent job. Gets cold in the winter though.

:D Al

This is what I was referring to as not taking care of a vehicle.
As for the salt and washing it every other day, they don't last because the car washes only wash the top side. When have you ever seen a car/truck wash with a really good under body pressure wash?
One here in town charges More if you want the under carrage wash. I now ask for a recite when I run my truck thru there because I live on a lime stone road and they started refuseing to run my truck thru a second and third time when the wheel wells still had lime stone mud in them.

If I pay more for under carrage wash I want the under carrage washed.

A nice curved wand for your pressure washer does a decent job. Gets cold in the winter though.

:D Al
You have to get the salt out from under the truck. I stick a sprinkler attached to a high pressure hose under my vehicles after being driven in the salt. On my trucks that sit a little higher, depending on the weather, I will crawl under and spray in all the nooks and crannies. I also use oven cleaner to clean and degreaser the engine and drivetrain.

You can also apply more undercoat to help protect. On the '77 I just sold, I did a full frame off restoration. While I had the cab, engine, tranny and case, and bed off, I sanded and painted the frame, axles, and springs with some thick, heavy, industrial paint. Much better than standard automotive paint, but not thick, rough, rubber texture like Line-X.
It made it much easier to wash.

Latest posts

Back