Old Pioneer - should I, or shouldn't I?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndreaNZ

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi, all - continuing my search for a chainsaw, I found an old (the seller says it's about 20 years old, and the photo of it looks solid!) Pioneer, 45cc, 18" bar, says it's a model no. 494243. The seller refers to it as a Farmsaw 2, whatever that means. He says it's been serviced less than a month ago, and has a newly sharpened chain. Something worth going for (it's on an auction site down here).

Thanks.
Andrea
NZ

The only Pioneer Farmsaws that I'm familiar with are based on the P-40 series. These are 4 cu in which is more like 65 cc, not 45 cc. Sounds like either its not a Farmsaw, or its not 45cc, or there's a Pioneer model out there that's new to me. I do love my P-40 though, so if it is a Farmsaw and you love older saws, it'll be a joy.

Dan

new member to site. but you can get any part for the pioneer except the farmsaw starter from poulan pro p-40=405pp, p42= 455pp, p50= 505pp p52=555pp p60=655pp. there may be a few differences like the pp cylinders use a compression release like a husky and they are located on the top of the jug next to the spark plug. a farmsaw has the compression release under the cover activated by starter. the p-series don't have compression release
james

jsmith40004 said:
the p-series don't have compression releasejames

I beg to differ. I have, in my shop, a P26 with starter-activated compression release. The spring-steel rod is levered out when the black palstic flywheel-engaging "ratchet" extends. It, in turn, depresses the comp release disc. Really. It's old (by my standards), maybe an early-80's model. "Easy arc ignition" or some such emblazoned on the starter cover.

Thanks, guys! I was afraid you were going to say that about parts being hard to come by. Being a relative newbie to chainsaws, what kinds of things usually go wrong with them? Assuming the seller is being truthful and said that it has been recently serviced, presumably it was just like a tune-up and no parts needed replacing...

Do you mind having a look at the auction, and you can see a photo of it?

The URL: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=63876120

Cheers
Andrea
NZ

Dang. OK, I keep looking. I have really enjoyed surfing this site; friendly people willing to share their knowledge and expertise with us novices. I really do need a chainsaw, and have to buy second hand, as new ones such as the Stihl and Huskys that you recommend sell USED for starting around $1200NZ.

Cheers
Andrea
NZ

What is the NZ currency exhange rate to USD (American dollars)?

I am sure shipping to your place wouldn't be more than $85-100 USD. Heck, you could buy a NEW saw here for $300-450 and likely come out ahead, even after shipping. Most guys on this site would probably even buy it for you and mail it, so long as you Paypal payment to them. Heck, lots of dealers on here...they might even cut you a deal since it would be an internet purchase with little to no sales time involved!

Anyhow, about the pioneer, go for it if you feel it is what you want! Or shop Ebay.com and find a good deal on there!

Josh

hi andrea have an 025 stihl with 18 or 16 inch bar your choice new chain that you can have for $300 dollars let me know if interested and i will email some pics to you i am in levin so freight would be your responsibility cheers

Zimmy

Hey, thanks, Zimmy - pics would be great. I don't know if I can post an email here, but can you send me PM?

Cheers
Andrea
NZ

Four Paws...

Thanks for pointing out that auction - really helps to have people who know what they're about to hold one's hand, so to speak, in something I know little about (as far as what's good and what isn't).

Cheers
Andrea
NZ

Back