Old Power Mac: any good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Indiana John

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Okay Mac folks, what's the word on these saws? What can you tell me about them, above the specs I found at Acres site? I had one given to me today, and I'm wondering if it's worth getting it running or should I just eBay the thing for whatever it will bring? I had a Mini Mac several years ago that would make your hands numb in under five minutes, so I'm a bit gun-shy where Macs are concerned.

Depends on which Power Mac. Some were decisively better than others. If you have a Power Mac 1000, you should fix it.:D

From what I'm seeing at Acres, it looks like a Power Mac 6. Old top-handle saw from the late 60's-early 70's era. 16" bar/chain. So far I have not seen any ID labels or tags anywhere on the saw. Just a sticker on the recoil/tank that says "AUTOMATIC". I'm guessing that means it has an automatic oiler, tho the info at Acres say it has a manual oiler (it does have an oiler button on top of the handle). It's complete except for missing the choke lever/knob thing. Chain looks almost new. The only real problem I see with it is that it looks like the back of the gas tank has been repaired with epoxy or something. Would probably best to be replaced. Doesn't look like it would take much to get it running. As I said, it's got good compression, the tank is clean inside, so I'm figuring it's probably just gonna need the carb and points cleaned at the most. Just wondering if it would be worth putting any time and money in. If these are decent little saws, then I'll hunt up a replacement recoil housing/tank and get it running again, otherwise it's off to fleabay.

I have one of these little puppies. They do have an auto-oiler. It is kinda anemic, so use the manual oiler too. They have a bad habit of letting bar oil in the crankcase, and will be hard to start, and smoke a lot. Mine does. I don't know a lot about the little dude, but it is a cool little saw to mess with. I think mine was made around 1968 or so.

You will see parts for them come and go on ebay. I bought a new filter cover for mine off of ebay.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Gary

Thanks for the info, Gary! I'm wondering how the bar oil gets into the crankcase. The only way I can see that happening is thru the oil pump system maybe. I checked the ignition on it, and it does have a good spark. However while cleaning it up, I ran into another issue. The lower front of the oil tank has been repaired also, right near the lower spike bolt. Between this and the hole in the gas tank, I'm wondering if this one would be better as a parts saw after all.
Oh, I did see a tag inside the air filter opening. No name, but does have a couple of #s.

Latest posts

Back