Old saws fastest cutter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Modified Mark you gave the exact answer I was hoping to see.
Back in the late seventies eighties and nineties there were thousands of cut and skid crews here in North Western Ontario ninety percent of the cutters myself included were using these saws or ones of similar size you were falling two to three hundred trees a day .Almost every one used a 16 inch bar a odd few 18 or 20. The wood was spruce balsam and jack pine with some poplar if you averaged the fir and pine probably 10 inches.Why were we carrying those big heavy saws when we could have used much smaller ones ie jonsereds 49 or Husky 50 or any other great small saws from the other manufacturers.
The few cutters that I know are still armed with the mid range saws.
I have around 40 saws and cut around forty cords of fire wood a year and I have smaller saws but I still use the ones I listed most often old habits die hard.
The saws listed are all almost equal with the 038 mag tops in power i really cannot comment on the pm700 performance because I just got it seems well built revs well vibrates a lot and is loud but I kinda like it there were very few Macs in the bush here from about 1965 Stihl Pioneer and from about 1970 HUsky Partner and Jonsereds joined the rest
t

How would a Pioneer P42 or P45 compare with these saws.

Compared to the list of piston ported saws the Pioneers with the reed valves (42/45)cuts under load a bit slower, probably 500 rpmish, so until the piston ported saws are loaded up the Pioneers would be down there with the 700. The short bars the OP is using certainly does not benefit a reed breather.

Modified Mark you gave the exact answer I was hoping to see.
Back in the late seventies eighties and nineties there were thousands of cut and skid crews here in North Western Ontario ninety percent of the cutters myself included were using these saws or ones of similar size you were falling two to three hundred trees a day .Almost every one used a 16 inch bar a odd few 18 or 20. The wood was spruce balsam and jack pine with some poplar if you averaged the fir and pine probably 10 inches.Why were we carrying those big heavy saws when we could have used much smaller ones ie jonsereds 49 or Husky 50 or any other great small saws from the other manufacturers.
The few cutters that I know are still armed with the mid range saws.
I have around 40 saws and cut around forty cords of fire wood a year and I have smaller saws but I still use the ones I listed most often old habits die hard.
The saws listed are all almost equal with the 038 mag tops in power i really cannot comment on the pm700 performance because I just got it seems well built revs well vibrates a lot and is loud but I kinda like it there were very few Macs in the bush here from about 1965 Stihl Pioneer and from about 1970 HUsky Partner and Jonsereds joined the rest
t
Yes I was thinking at the time that some good 50-55cc saws would be able to out cut the bigger saws you listed and when you now say how soft the wood was you were cutting there is no doubt about it. In the 80's-90's the Partner's that size were probably a good as you could get.

I could comment more on the PM700 as I have had some 70cc Mac's but I won't as my opinion of them is not very high.

I started out with craftsman’s saws, then I got tired of waiting for the saws to cut. Once they both broke down I got the husky 2100cd, finally a saw that cut like I wanted to cut with. I had enough cash for the 2100 and a 240sg. I really wanted the 480cd but I ran out of $. When the 266se was offered I got one of those. The 2100 took a break. The 266 cut smaller diameter wood. I then purchased a 2101xp. The firewood business took off by then.

There was one logging crew where every sawyer ran a 2100.

I was thinking about the 42 and 45 today and I think one of them came with boost ports. Which ever one that was should be closer if not even to the rpms under load of the piston ported saws listed by the OP. My personal opinion, it would depend a lot on the individual saw, as one of the frustrating things about those P series was somewhat inconsistent performance, same with the Partners. Agai in my option the thing that Stihl and a Husqvarna seemed to do better than most, good or bad, an established line was consistent. If they made one that would fall apart, then most of them would.

Those Mcculloch 700 are all over the place in performance, however they all make your hands numb.

Dolmar 120 Super be a good addition to the OPs collection.

Homelite 410 or 450. Just to test his interest in chainsaw repair.

Justsaws the young guys here probably never experienced hand cramps from the earlier chainsaws with no AV. Godbless the older loggers I have no clue how they felt with that. After cutting with the truck loaded, on the way home driving is when the hand cramps kicked in.

I’ve had my hands go numb on the motorcycles but I found out my grip was too tight. I lessened my grip and the numbness went away.

I had a 181 se it was a very good saw but too heavy for falling and limbing we used it for bucking 8 foot on the landing.In 1974 my brother bought a Jonsereds 80 he used it for a year it had more down time due to broken recoil ropes and never idled right he gave it away to a French cutter from Quebec who wanted it.really bad .I remember him saying at a later date if I had to lug that heavy saw around logging now I would quit. He is really big in the logging world now but chain saws are almost obsolete .He has several 372 Huskys..The 80 was a good powerfull saw but not for the size of trees here.I have an 801 good saw too rarely use it.
Kash

Mark Macs were never popular in my area but for 30 bucks and a near new bar and chain and low low hour saw it was a CAD must have. I
showed it to my better halfs son today he has a Partner 420 he fired the Mac up and thought it was great he loved the sound and the way it reved. Too loud and too much vibration for me to use steady but he is young.I dont suffer bad from cramps but have had white finger disease for many years my hands freeze really fast in the cold my fingers turn white driving the car for any distance .
Kash

Latest posts

Back