Old saws: part them out, sell as is, scrap them, and stop buying them?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KiwiBro

Mill 'em, nails be damned.
Reaction score
I want these to go to good homes/collectors and I want to be a conduit for that to happen.

I want to ship a crate of them to a USA or other collector/s every now and then. Shipping to USA works out about $20-$25 per powerhead to a USA port warehouse (about 15 powerheads per crate but may get more in), with USA clearance and local delivery extra.

My fear is it will end up being too expensive by the time it gets to the collector/s. I don't want anything for my time, just my out-of-pocket costs (including acquisition costs, if any) reimbursed. This may sound nuts but I hate the thought of these old saws languishing/perishing in sheds up and down the country and I want to do something about it as a hobby - call it CAD by Proxy. They need to go where they will be valued/used. I'd prefer they didn't go to people looking to profit from the arrangement, but anyone that can use these saws/parts is better than nobody.

Having shopped this idea around a few ASers lately, it seems it might almost be in the too-hard basket or otherwise just not worth the hassle. So I thought I'd pass this discussion over to the wider AS public for comments and suggestions. Is there a way we can make something like this work for all stakeholders? Sure, the model of saw is going to have a huge impact on feasibility, but I really don't care what it's worth to a collector - I just want them all to be finding good homes if possible so if I can get to the point the rarer saws help fund the shipment of the not so rare saws, so that it's still worth shipping a crate up there, then great.

The flip side to this is when I find a rather rare saw that is valued enough by a collector/s to warrant shipping it by itself to USA - not cheap (not much if any change from $200 for shipping). Whilst I'm stoked and grateful to see that happen, as it means a saw is going to be used or parted out by someone, it does mean I may subsequently struggle to crate lesser value saws to USA.
*note to JJ if reading this; don't worry, I'll get your skil1690 away next week*

The reality is, I can't save 'em all from the scrap yard, but I'm really hoping to find ways to get as many as possible to collectors.

Any help, suggestions, etc would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Thanks for the constructive replies guys.

Much appreciated.

Bottom line, this is in the can't be arsed basket now. Probably where it should have been from the start. Lesson learned.

Much appreciated.

Bottom line, this is in the can't be arsed basket now. Probably where it should have been from the start. Lesson learned.

Maybe a list of what you have or have access to would be helpful. I'm sure a crateful of 090's, 2100's, big Mac's, etc. would be worth shipping $$$ wise. What have you got?

Maybe a list of what you have or have access to would be helpful. I'm sure a crateful of 090's, 2100's, big Mac's, etc. would be worth shipping $$$ wise. What have you got?

Find the "piles of broken Echos" that have been reported by another AS poster and I would go in on some of them..:hmm3grin2orange:

Much appreciated.

Yeah, doing it in the crate type deal probably won't work, unless one person has a whole pile of stuff like what McBob does with his container shipments. There's just not a feasible way to get many saws to many people in one container.

What's wrong with you Bro?
You and us downunder are already screwed when it comes to saws. Why would you want to ship all the good old saws, without profit, back to the states where they already got too many and they have no value? There's guys over there with whole sheds full of old saws, we're talking hundreds here! The personal collections of many guys on this site are ridiculous. No need for it, those saws could be getting used.

Pass them round to guys in your own country, or send some to aus to guys who will use them!

Shaun

You've got mail m8.
What's wrong with you Bro?
You and us downunder are already screwed when it comes to saws. Why would you want to ship all the good old saws, without profit, back to the states where they already got too many and they have no value? There's guys over there with whole sheds full of old saws, we're talking hundreds here! The personal collections of many guys on this site are ridiculous. No need for it, those saws could be getting used.

Pass them round to guys in your own country, or send some to aus to guys who will use them!

Shaun

Latest posts

Back