Old School

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Heck, I think ole Lovstruck would have just tossed it in there! :hmm3grin2orange:

jonsered, I don't want to argue. Sorry, but that is not a chinese elm and that was not meant to make you think I want to argue. Anyway, it looked like alot of heavy to load and was wondering how long it took to get in the truck.
Jeff Lovstrom

My father sometimes reminisces about the winch truck our company use to own.......stories of sucking butt logs onto the back of the truck, and cracking pieces up and away from the wires with the winch.....the good old days

www.dillontree.com

jefflovstrom said:
jonsered, I don't want to argue. Sorry, but that is not a chinese elm
Jeff Lovstrom

look in your tree book for scientific names, then compare siberian elm and chinese elm. I am pretty sure they are the same, at least they are in my book.

look in USDA invasive species list they have it listed as siberian elm, or commonly called chinese elm : ulmus pumila, also most nurserymen sell siberian elms as chinese elms. (really they do)

in the manual of woody landscape plants it gives a choice Ulmus parvifolia and Ulmus pumila.

Should I tell you the tree had fruit when we took it down?

Iknow the bark looks rough for a chinese elm, but the upper parts ( inside the truck) it smooths out.

and the leaf structure more closely resembles Ulmus parvifolia. and on another note, this was a nice tree, not all broke up, most of the siberian elms here get wind damaged and tore up in our harsh winters. these factors lead me more towards a chinese.

BUT I HAVE BEEN WRONG BEFORE............

Last edited:
And you are wrong again. "Caution, Ulmus pumila is sometimes sold as chinese elm. Siberian elm flowers in spring, has stiffer habit and thinner less glossy leaves. Has brittle wood, weak crotches. A big difference from a chinese.
Jeff Lovtrom

Hey Jonserbred,

There are a few American elms still around, I cut one down on the Island last year, medium size about 32" DBH. Also have a good sized one in Newfane at my parents old house. I'm sure there are a few more here and there. We move big butts like that the same way but with a flatbed tilting winch truck. Easier than cutting to sizes the Prentice can pick up. A couple months ago we picked up a huge Catalpa (~60") that snapped the cable in a weak spot. Picked it up on the second attempt though after the kink was gone.
Take Care

jefflovstrom said:
Caution, Ulmus pumila is sometimes sold as chinese elm.

Becaus it's been sold as Chin elm pumila is recognized as that in manuals.

Not worth arguing over.

Here is a snip from a USDA site

Invasive Information:
Ulmus pumila L.

Chinese elm
Siberian elm

This plant is considered invasive by the authoritative sources noted below. This plant may be known by one or more common names in different places, and some are listed above. Click on an acronym to view each invasive plant list, or click here for a composite list of Invasive Plants of the U.S.
STATE Assorted authors. 200_. State Noxious Weed Lists for 46 States. State agriculture or natural resource departments.
NE&GP Stubbendieck, J., G.Y. Friisoe, & M.R. Bolick. 1994. Weeds of Nebraska and the Great Plains. Nebraska Department of Agriculture, Bureau of Plant Industry. Lincoln, Nebraska. 589pp.
SEEPPC Southeast Exotic Pest Plant Council. 1996. Invasive Exotic Pest Plants in Tennessee(http://www.se-eppc.org/states/TN/TNIList.html, October 19, 1999). Research Committee of the Tennessee Exotic Pest Plant Council. Tennessee.​

Back