Old Splitter New Problems

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodTick007

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well, I have had a a splitter for about 10 years..... it started out with a 5hp briggs, 1.8 gallon tank, 11gpm pump and a 4 x 26 cylinder..... Years ago the briggs took a dump....so i replace the engine with an 13hp honda along with a 16gpm pump and a ls3000 valve....it worked fine for many years... The problem started when I decided to increase the hydraulic oil tank to 10 gallons. I completed the project today,,,,upon start up the splitter functioned fine for about 10-12 cycles and that is when I noticed the hydraulic lines surging on 2/3-3/4 extension of the ram..... I then opened the oil tank and it was full of bubbley oil.... can anyone make a suggestion on how to resolve this issue?

wood splitter trouble

OK apparently you are sucking air at some point.

Is this a tank you built or (bought I hope) as a larger tank will have a baffle and one low point for suction and a high fitting entrance for return.

edit: is the suction line the proper size for the pump inlet?
If not- big problem

Last edited:
I took a 10 gallon air tank added a filler pipe 1.5 inch pipe and a return from the valve the same dia pipe as previously used and i dropped right into the top on the tank.... i have that tank draining from the bottom into the original hydraulic tank...so basically i have added an aux. tank to the original tank.

I had the same problem with my hydro tank. Mine tank is 21" pipe x 20" tall in which i thought also that it would be fine to just dump the oil into the top of the tank, but after 2 or 3hrs of use the cylinder would start to stutter. I solved the problem with a down pipe half way down the tank and with a 90.

Good Luck Chuck D.

Thank you.... I have solved the foaming oil problem.......now the the problem I am having is after running for a while....like 20 minutes if I turn up the rpms I get surging in the forward hose while when the RPM are at 2000 rmps....if I were to run it at lower RPMS it would run without surging all day long. Any thoughts? I am running 36 oil..... could it be to thick?

The suction hose could be collapsing at higher flow rates, starving the pump. There could also be a restriction in the tank fittings.

Without actually seeing the whole system we can only make guesses.

Latest posts

Back