Old Stihl 041AV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conkers

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have found one for sale for $50. It runs but has a stripped sprocket.

I want to get a saw to tinker with and this looks like it isn't trashed.

Is this something worthwhile or should I leave it alone.

It looks like an older one with no AV mounts but I would do it. I love tinkering. I like the sound of the exhaust on them also. For 50 I dont think you can go wrong.:cheers:

It looks like an older one with no AV mounts but I would do it. I love tinkering. I like the sound of the exhaust on them also. For 50 I dont think you can go wrong.:cheers:

:agree2:
041's are pretty straight forward to work on!
Parts are readily available on Ebay, or possibly the swap thread.

The hardest thing you my have to hunt for are the actual rubber mounts for the AV, but saw a listing for them on ebay. That is a nice OLD AV addition!!!!
Hope it works out for ya!

That is the early electronic ignition model, so make sure the POS ignition is still working, otherwise you are up for a replacement points ignition incl.flywheel.

Last edited:
Go for it they are a blast to tinker with and run. They sound good even if they ain't cutting to good. Most of um run strong and make a good work saw if that's what you need it for. Like the others stated it's been around and parts are pretty easy to find. Good luck and have fun.

I would jump all over that deal. 041's are cool saws, and a perfect restoration project.

That's an excellent price on a great piece of equipment. Some complain that they're heavy, or the AV sucks on them, but IMO-there's not a single saw made today that will last anywhere near as long as those old 041s will. Plus, they sound great when working, or even just idling.
JL

I would suspect that the clutch drive sprocket is stripped.This could account for the loose chain in the first picture.Something else could possibly wrong for this price.I would have a dealer give it the once over, Ken

The hardest thing you my have to hunt for are the actual rubber mounts for the AV, but saw a listing for them on ebay. That is a nice OLD AV addition!!!!
Hope it works out for ya!

are the 051 isolators the same? those are still available in canada from the dealer...

Latest posts

Back