Old Timer Passed on

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbyb13

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It is with great regret I have to tell all you guys and ladies. My Son's and my old friend Mr McMillan passed on yesterday in his lazy boy. He was 81 years old. He just went to sleep. I hope I'm that lucky when my time comes. I wrote in another thread about meeting him, and what friends my Son and he had became. He spent Christmas day with us, and gave Josh his two Mac 10-10's. We cut him a bunch of wood and heard some great stories about WW2, His working at a saw filing shop for 42 years after the big one. He got to use one the old Mac's for a few minutes after Josh got it running great. He said he hadn't had so much fun since he was chasing wimmen in his younger days. I'll miss him and his stories. His Daughter said all he talked about was Josh, and cutting firewood, the last couple of months.

Sounds like you and your boys gave him a lot of joy in his last days. Kudos to you and yours.

Ian

I am very sorry for your loss. In todays world of me, me, and rush rush, it is great to heard that someone took the time to listen and befriend an oldtimer, i am sure it has made your sons life that much richer it is something he will carry with him throughout his life and very likely will make him a better man for it. God bless.

Doc

Thanks to all of you

Went to the viewing tonight. Josh was asked to be a paulbearer (probably spelled that wrong) Mr Mac's daughter intrduced him to everyone and gave Josh a McCulloch gold chain saw pin that was his buddy's. I hadn't seen the boy with tears in his eyes in a long time. He was greatly honored. I was dang proud of him.

Howdy bobby13,

Sorry to hear the news. Very glad you and your family got to spend some time with him though. You all take care bobby13.

v/r

Mike

It is with great regret I have to tell all you guys and ladies. My Son's and my old friend Mr McMillan passed on yesterday in his lazy boy. He was 81 years old. He just went to sleep. I hope I'm that lucky when my time comes. I wrote in another thread about meeting him, and what friends my Son and he had became. He spent Christmas day with us, and gave Josh his two Mac 10-10's. We cut him a bunch of wood and heard some great stories about WW2, His working at a saw filing shop for 42 years after the big one. He got to use one the old Mac's for a few minutes after Josh got it running great. He said he hadn't had so much fun since he was chasing wimmen in his younger days. I'll miss him and his stories. His Daughter said all he talked about was Josh, and cutting firewood, the last couple of months.

Lost my dad a year back and he was a man of the timber. He knew time was drawing near cause he kept telling me things just out of the blue that he thought I should know and things I was suppose to do. One of the things he wanted me to do was get his chainsaws.
I fire the old machines up and use them once in a while and it feels as though he is there with a hand on my shoulder. My uncle was a logger and dad was a wood cutter and both were WW2 vets. They are in the big timber now.
Josh, fire up that old 10-10 and your friend will be there; we don't know each other but I am proud of you carrying Mr. McMillan to his resting place. You are carrying a friend and to me you are carrying a hero of this country.

A Measure of Honor...

I believe it was Patton who said, or quoted someone who said, something to the effect of "It is a measure of a nation how they honor their dead." I happen to believe that is true on a personal level, as well. The words you wrote here upon the passing of your friend spoke much of honor, friendship, respect, and compassion. Thanks very much for sharing with us.

Al

so many people today just push the older people aside. they seem to forget it was those people that helped give us freedom and shape america. i get a little choked up when i hear that there are still some that help and look out for those that are no longer able to help themselves.
bobby, much thanks to you and your son for bringing some good times to someone and giving him time to share his life with you.
marty

He gave more to me than I did to him

Josh here, I just read the thread from you Gentlemen. Thanks for all your kind words, but Mr. Mac gave a lot more to me, than I to him. He just enjoyed getting out and going with me to check the cattle, talking about saws, and being like a Gramps to me. He left way to soon to suit me. I truly loved being around him. My old Rottie even liked him, and Jack hates about everybody (joking) I'm going to miss the heck out of him.

so many people today just push the older people aside. they seem to forget it was those people that helped give us freedom and shape america. i get a little choked up when i hear that there are still some that help and look out for those that are no longer able to help themselves.
bobby, much thanks to you and your son for bringing some good times to someone and giving him time to share his life with you.
I agree wholeheartedly; The years pass by so quickly, & before you know it, kids are grown, older folks are gone, you are left with a deep "empty nest" feeling. This thread is a valuable reminder to us all to cherish the times that we have with our loved ones, & also take time out to forge new relationships with those around us who are not fortunate enough to have a loving, caring family of their own.

God Bless, bobbyb13

Regards, katt

Very sorry to hear of your loss, sounds like he was quite a guy. It reminded me of an old guy, Tim, that I was friends with. Even though he was in his 80s he still did ALL the work on his car & truck and still went out every winter & cut firewood and kept his yard in apple pie order during the summer. I would sometimes loan him tools to work on his stuff and he thought I hung the moon. He had a bad heart and was in the hospital quite a bit in his last couple of years but never once did I hear him complain. He used to tell me stories about WW II, and about the wild and crazy things he did when he was younger, you could tell he really missed being a young man. As I inch ever closer to 50 myself I understand how he felt.........Tim used to tell me that there are some places you can never go back to. He was right. Remember your friend, think of him often. Matt

time

I never felt comfortable at a funeral, felt bad I had not spent more time with the person while alive. You did a good thing spending time and reliving history while gaining wisdom. That is the way it should be.

Latest posts

Back