Old wood stove question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buildmyown

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have an old stove in the basement that used to be used to heat the whole house. It has not been used since 1993. I want to start using it again with the cost of oil. What should I check on it? The pipe is double walled stainless steel i think. The pipe does run threw a chase in the wall so cant really inspect the outside very well without removing a built in wall unit. I pulled the cap today and took a look down inside with a spot light and cant see any rot or rust and there is only a very light build up of creosote and or soot. I know when my dad was using this he used to burn the fires very hot and only burned well seasoned oar and maple. Should I have a professional come out and check everything if so what should I look for in a professional? Should I just start a small smokey fire in the stove and see if there are any leaks?
Thanks

Last edited:
I would make sure the flue and the chimney is clean. If so go over the stove a little and fire er up. If its been used in the past it should be okay. As long as there is no clogs.

Personally i would check the stove gaskets, door, glass, and vacuum the ash out and inspect the welds. Then take apart the stove pipe, clean and inspect it and the thimble where it goes through the wall. Then take a mirror and flashlight and inspect the chimney and sweep it if necessary. Or you could hire a local sweep to do the same.

Back