Older 034, no inner side bar plate ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Applehead

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Going through an old 034AV, before doing top end, she seems to be an odd duck. Has the flat top tilly carb, A screen mesh air filter that looks like it was eating chips for a long time,not the fleece one (no wonder the piston got buggered up).

Anyway, I noticed there is no inner plate for the bar, I was going to order a replacement but when i look at the saw i don't see the threaded hole where the plate retaining screw should go. Did some of these early saws come from factory without the inner bar plate ?

Interdasting saw.IMG_4942.JPGIMG_5014.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5078.JPG
    IMG_5078.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
The IPLs and shop manuals I have all show an inner side plate secured with a screw. However, Stihl did make a side plate that had springy grippers that held tight to the bar studs. Perhaps that type is what you want.
Your air filter looks like most I see on used 034 and 036 saws. It had a fleece covering but the fleece is long gone and the mesh lets lots of damaging crap in the saw. Replace it for sure.

Stihl used bumper strips (white plastic inserts above and below mount) for quite some time. They also can be found on the 024 AV series... No dirt will accumulate behind the plate :numberone:

The later 034's w/ side chain tensioner had the plate with retension tangs on the bar studs instead of a bolt.the original 034's were front chain tensioner.

Latest posts

Back